Getting in mountain shape with no mountains around?

Wim Hoff method. Fasting 24 hours every week, intermittent fasting the other 6 days. "Knees over Toes guy" workouts.
You will change your life and health permanently.

Before I lived near any mountains, I would spend an hour each day on the stair climber at the gym, and as it's getting closer to the season, I would try to do two hours in the morning, two hours in the evening

If you don't have any tall buildings you can access, just do box step ups. Put on a 30-40lbs backpack and step onto and off a 12"-16" tall box. Aim for 1000 steps per workout, alternating legs. This is what alpine climbers who live in the flatlands have been doing for decades and it's gotten people up Everest and every other major mountain.

This is an old thread, so I may have answered this already. I live at 600 feet and hunt at 8000 in Colorado. I have found I need to triple my workout at home to equal the mountains. So at home I put on a 50# pack and hike the local ski hill for 3 hours to equal one hour in CO. This has served me pretty well. The local hill only has about 200' elevation, but it works. On a machine, an eliptical i set on full incline and full resistance for 1.5 hours to equal half hour pull in the morning up the mountain.
Hope this helps

This is an old thread, so I may have answered this already. I live at 600 feet and hunt at 8000 in Colorado. I have found I need to triple my workout at home to equal the mountains. So at home I put on a 50# pack and hike the local ski hill for 3 hours to equal one hour in CO. This has served me pretty well. The local hill only has about 200' elevation, but it works. On a machine, an eliptical i set on full incline and full resistance for 1.5 hours to equal half hour pull in the morning up the mountain.
Hope this helps

I actually live at 8000 in Colorado and this is probably about right for how I coach my dad to train before he comes out to visit.

Treadmill. 4.0 speed for 5 minutes. 3.8@ 5 incline 5 minutes. 3.5@10 incline 5 minutes. 3.2@15 incline minutes. Then reverse back the other way.

Walk the neighborhood with your boots and pack on. Off pavement if possible. Walk the ditch. Loaded with weight. I use dog food bags(same brand as my dog eats) 25lb and 40lb. Start with 25lbs in your pack for a week. Then move upto 40lb... find a hill or high-school bleachers and do come climbing

Long rucks with a weighted vest pulled tight, to the point of restriction on my chest, and a back pack. I don't know if the restriction helps of if its mental but it seems to do something.

STAIR STEP MACHINE
STAIR STEP MACHINE
STAIR STEP MACHINE
STAIR STEP MACHINE
STAIR STEP MACHINE
STAIR STEP MACHINE

If you don't have access to one, put 25lbs in your pack and climb stairs, then climb some more stairs! We have an elliptical in the spare bedroom I use in the winter, If Idaho was flat it'd be as big as Texas!!!!

STAIR STEP MACHINE
STAIR STEP MACHINE
STAIR STEP MACHINE
STAIR STEP MACHINE
STAIR STEP MACHINE
STAIR STEP MACHINE

If you don't have access to one, put 25lbs in your pack and climb stairs, then climb some more stairs! We have an elliptical in the spare bedroom I use in the winter, If Idaho was flat it'd be as big as Texas!!!!
Absolutely!

I have been working on this since I first read this post.
What I have come up with is loaded carries while dragging a sled.
The sandbag is 150# and I think the sled was 135#.
I eventually got up to a 200# sled, 75# weight vest and 135# sandbag for 1000yds.

Attachments

• PXL_20210704_173641577.jpg
    PXL_20210704_173641577.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20210704_173609211.jpg
    PXL_20210704_173609211.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 58