Getting in mountain shape with no mountains around?

Another thing we did was for altitude. Don't know if it is an old wives tale or not, but we always got up there two days early and ate bananas until we were sick of them. We were told the potassium in them would increase our red blood cell count and help with the altitude. Don't know if true or not, never tried not doing that. I do know either that or the altitude did have an effect on us when we came back home. Always felt very lethargic, almost sick, for about a week. More than just tired.

I ran four miles yesterday at 8750 instead of hiking to the hill behind the house due to the slim chance of lightning. I can say that run was harder than my hill hike. Also road my mountain bike uphill; that is a great way to condition yourself - if you don't have hills, ride when the wind is blowing hard (against it obviously).

I don't have much faith in those masks that restrict airflow to simulate less dense atmospheric conditions. Some running stores actually have a hyperbaric chamber that you can rent time to use and walk or run on a treadmill. Otherwise, I'd go a few days early and spend some time in the conditions to get a little more acclimated, aside from the working out, hydration and losing weight...

You bring the lazy boy recliner with you. Set up downwind. Have the other guys that are in shape get up wind and send that elk your way. Bust out a beer while your waiting.

Is that wrong?

I'm going to my local high school football stadium and going up and down the stairs...will start doing it with pack on soon. Probably 20-30 lbs to start.

fmetz

Nothing like climbing. Put on your day pack and start with light weight. Go to your local football stadium and walk up, across, and down across and up. The down has different physical implications. Wear your hunting boots. Add weight weekly to the pack. You want to be carrying more weight than you will hunting a couple weeks before you go. Start with 30 minutes and add time weekly. Hydrate, super hydrate for altitude. We bring folks to the 7500 - 9000 foot level from the 300 ft level several times a year. Altitude will be a problem regardless of your conditioning, but the better physical condition and better hydrated you are the easier it will be and faster recovery. I'm not as young as many of you and I find hiking / bleacher climbing three days a week and bike riding in the hills 3 day's a week worked well when I lived at low altitude and am conditioning.
Agree. Live near 100' elevation and think training can solve 2 of 3 issues. 1. Leg and knee strength…stairs or incline and deep knee bends…wearing you hunting boots also helpful. 2. Shoulder/back. Have found that wearing my pack some during training reduces shoulder fatigue and the pain that sometimes creeps in from shoulder straps. 3. Lungs…well, cardio helps a bit but really no cure other than going early or better yet moving to the mountains.

I'm in pretty good shape, I lift a lot and a half marathon is no biggy. I grew up in Albuquerque NM at 6,800fr but now live in Indiana at 300'.

I was surprised at how winded I got in CO, hunting at 10,000'. I trained hard and my muscles never got tired, but I would get winded and had to take moments to catch my breath.

My suggestion would be to do a lot of incline walking on a treadmill with a full pack. Same with a stair stepper. Personally I'm going to add a breathing restriction mask into my workout regiment for next years hunt.

I have mountains around, but I don't often utilize them for PT. Running a couple 10ks per week and doing some KB squats/lunges seems to keep me fit when I do go out into the mountains. Doing 75-80lb ruck marches along some nice scenic rivers also helps.

I have mountains around, but I don't often utilize them for PT. Running a couple 10ks per week and doing some KB squats/lunges seems to keep me fit when I do go out into the mountains. Doing 75-80lb ruck marches along some nice scenic rivers also helps.
I have never been a runner, but love my kettlebells and rucking.