Getting in mountain shape with no mountains around?

Orange Dust

Another thing we did was for altitude. Don't know if it is an old wives tale or not, but we always got up there two days early and ate bananas until we were sick of them. We were told the potassium in them would increase our red blood cell count and help with the altitude. Don't know if true or not, never tried not doing that. I do know either that or the altitude did have an effect on us when we came back home. Always felt very lethargic, almost sick, for about a week. More than just tired.

LRNut

I ran four miles yesterday at 8750 instead of hiking to the hill behind the house due to the slim chance of lightning. I can say that run was harder than my hill hike. Also road my mountain bike uphill; that is a great way to condition yourself - if you don't have hills, ride when the wind is blowing hard (against it obviously).

soren

I don't have much faith in those masks that restrict airflow to simulate less dense atmospheric conditions. Some running stores actually have a hyperbaric chamber that you can rent time to use and walk or run on a treadmill. Otherwise, I'd go a few days early and spend some time in the conditions to get a little more acclimated, aside from the working out, hydration and losing weight...

capona

You bring the lazy boy recliner with you. Set up downwind. Have the other guys that are in shape get up wind and send that elk your way. Bust out a beer while your waiting.

Is that wrong?

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.

Recent Posts