Getting in mountain shape with no mountains around?

I cut back to 1 pack a day, switch to lite beer, and get the medium fries instead of the large...usually start this regimen about 6 weeks before I go. Discipline is the key!
That's a great health routine requirement I require of my pack out people… not myself. Gotta have the XL fries for the extra calories… Just here to fill the tag 😂

In addition to the muscle training...be sure to ALWAYS discuss with your DOCTOR before using any implement or training device - especially if you have cardiac or respiratory issues - but these can help develop your diaphragm muscles naturally and can allow for training your system/chemistry to deal with lower oxygen levels. Your muscles will work much differently at high altitude and also be sure to carry easily obtainable meds from your dr. to help deal with headaches and nausea if you do experience symptoms that can be caused by hypoxia/hypoxemia.
Muscle building: https://www.amazon.com/Rutten-Official-Respirator-Breathing-Trainer/dp/B00CXS7D5M
and
Lower Oxygen training: https://www.amazon.com/Sparthos-Training-Mask-High-Altitude/dp/B0788B98F7?th=1

Article on HAP and remidies including prescription based you could request from your MD/DR.

Finally, maintain hydration and do not drink alcohol on the trip as that can substantially increase your chances of experiencing hypoxia/hypoxemia.

God Bless and have fun!

What do you do?
In my 40's, I had lived in Florida for most of my life. I could not seem to get in the right shape for mountain hunting no matter what I did. With my workouts (bike riding, walking, and climbing stairs), I could always walk anyone from the east into the ground but sucked compared to the locals who lived at altitude. I got the bright idea to do some blood packing and asked my internist for his opinion. Ended up having my doctor save up drawn blood and putting it back the day before I left for a hunt. It helped out a lot. Eventually, I moved to Montana and now live at 4,000 ft on the side of a mountain. This worked a lot better. 😀

In my 40's, I had lived in Florida for most of my life. I could not seem to get in the right shape for mountain hunting no matter what I did. With my workouts (bike riding, walking, and climbing stairs), I could always walk anyone from the east into the ground but sucked compared to the locals who lived at altitude. I got the bright idea to do some blood packing and asked my internist for his opinion. Ended up having my doctor save up drawn blood and putting it back the day before I left for a hunt. It helped out a lot. Eventually, I moved to Montana and now live at 4,000 ft on the side of a mountain. This worked a lot better. 😀
Blood doping! Did the state take your game trophy away afterwards? 😂

I haven't seen this mentioned, run bleacher seats. Or carry a log and walk them, tip of hat to movie "Vision Quest". lol

Another thing to really keep in mind is that coming down can be worse than going up. Different muscle groups involved. If your center of gravity goes over your leading toes, not good...

Best on the hunt, good luck!

I lived in Wyoming for 18 years from about age 34 until 52. Job moved me to places at low Elevation, 500 to 1200 ft msl. Finally landed a position back in Wyoming (Cheyenne) and now live at 6,000ft. Last year was the first Elk hunt in past 5 years. All but KILLED me. Now I'm 63 and had no second thoughts bout hunting the old haunts. I was embarrassed! Felt like Hell, had no stamina. Hunted at 9,000 to 10,000ft. I knew better, but did it anyway. That was October. I weighed 225lbs. I've since started losing weight and working out. Down to 207 and intend on being 190lbs by October. I WILL NOT REPEAT LAST YEAR'S DEBACLE!!! Heh. Guess I'm not in my 30's and 40's any more.

Come the months of June and September, I fling thousands of hay bales into my barn, 130 reps at a time, 3 -5 times a day, about 1 or 2 a week. I pick them up again and climb or throw them up the stack. Starting in September, I hunt my property for grouse, and the preserve club for pheasant, with my dog. Miles every other day or so. Then I go out to Colorado and suck wind due to the 10,000ft elevation change.