Getting back into centerfire

Master Chief

All my life I have essentially been a water fowler/bird hunter. As a kid back in Oregon/ Idaho i did do some deer hunting. I was always fascinated with aim small miss small, whether it was a BB gun, .22, or my first big game rifle a sportered A303 dad gave me when I was 13.
Then life happened and I am 26 years into my Naval Career and have picked up a few guns through the years. I was able to do some hunting while stationed in Missouri and shot my first few white tails. I now have a Remington 700 ADL in 7mm, a Savage model 12FV (pre-accutrigger) 22-250, and an old 700 BDL 22-250. I still have the 30-06 as well, but have to do some work to that one so I can pass it down.

When I retire in 3 1/2 years I plan on getting back into big game hunting along with dog training and making up for all the years missed while deployed. Eventually I will build my own custom rifle and I hope to shoot an Elk.

We live in the PACNORTHWEST, and intend to retire southwestern Washington. Just reading and learning is what I enjoy.

Chad Lukehart

Welcome to the forum, Chad. Washington is a fine location from which to "fan out" into Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming for some very good hunting experiences. I've never hunted Washington but I understand there's some good Moose hunting in the north east portion over along the Idaho border.

FNW,

Having options all around definitely fans then desire to get back in the saddle. My biggest issues are that taking time off to scout and not jump right into hunting. Not a big fan and the last thing I want to do is screw up someone else's hunt by jumping in where they have already established. Once I retire, I will spend my time scouting and preparing.

... Once I retire, I will spend my time scouting and preparing.

You are my kind of hunter. Scout ahead of the season, find a potential target or two and set up a couple of days ahead of opening day. Scout a bit more and begin the stalk opening day and go home with some meat. :)
Would be pleased to hunt with someone of your sportsman's caliber any time.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.