Getting an AR-15 to "shoot"

montana_native

I have a DPMS 24" bull 1:9. I recently tried some 75 gr A-maxes that Savtac generously donated to me and was pleased to see that they shot about MOA at 2850 fps with Benchmark powder. I was well over magazine length with them.

EVERYTHING I have loaded for this gun shoots right around 1 MOA. The only difference I notice is on the chrono. What does it take to tighten these things up? I was hoping to try these A-maxes on gophers at around 4-500 yards while using 55 gr B-tips for the close stuff, but that's a small target at that distance. Is there a trick to reloading or is it in the gun itself?

Thanks for any help.

I have an 8 twist 24" RRA, I shoot ultramax reman 55 gr to beyond 500 yards. this rifle regularly shoots 3 shot groups in the .2's at 100 yards.from my experience with AR's 1 MOA is average for the light barreled standard AR's , a varminter should do a bit better. who makes Panthers barrels? shaw?
RR

I took it out again yesterday. I was able to get a 2 1/4" group at 300 yards and a friend of mine grouped right about 2". I guess its not really that bad. I may play with seating depth a bit to see what happens.

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.