Getting a little tired of the Summit Climber...

Muddyboots offered some great advice, some of it mentioning using a safety body harness

I was part of a search and rescue team that rescued a badly injured hunter. He wore no safety gear and fell from a very high tree stand during very cold weather and snow cover.

Added to difficulties of rescue was errored info as for his exact location as well as his being far off road and in heavy brush. His injures were serious and he would not have lasted much longer.

I am happy to say he has fully recovered.

Well guys, a few weeks shy of 54 here and man, lugging the Summit in is gettin' old. Last weekend, I did AM and PM hunts and decided to climb instead of using my ladder stands. It didn't help that in the morning I forgot to hook up my haul line and had to double climb. Then, in the PM, I dropped my stinkin' cross-bow and had to climb down and get the thing (thankfully it was not damaged and the POI didn't shift). Anyway, when I was in bed that night (sorry, this doesn't get dirty) I cramped up really bad. Not your standard Charlie Horse but those adductor muscles that run up into the groin and along the inner side of the thigh locked right up in both legs. It was excruciating and by the time they relaxed, I was sweating. I stood up and leaned into the wall and after a few minutes, they went away but man did that hurt. Gettin' old ain't for sissies. More bananas and Gatorade for me I guess.
Whipper Snapper, you ain't seen nothin' yet. Wait til that "5" rolls over to a "7" and get back to me on how nice that "5" time was. :) :) :) Hydration, hydration, hydration, potassium......bananas or tablets, pre-conditioning, and genes.......select your parents wisely. My father extended his hunting/packing distance well into his "8" with a wheeled travois rig. Attach one or two wheels (large diameter, ultralight to easily roll over obstacles) between couple lengths of Schedule 40 PVC pipe with lead ends attached to a modded pack waist belt. ...weight bears on hips rather than shoulders/back. Rig bears most of the weight packing in and out. makes a wheeled travois...aka game cart...... to pack game out. Dual duty. Modify pipes length/material per weight to be carried. If Summit length is sufficient with your height, might attach wheel/s directly to Summit as its own game cart. Modify your hunt regimen as necessary, but never, never quit huntin'.

Last edited:
I recently turned 60 and still hunt from my API Grand Slam,and have for nearly 30 years.I strap my backpack to it and walk from a couple hundred yards to a mile or better from the truck on public lands.My job is physical,so I'm in pretty decent condition and I have a banana with breakfast daily and have no issues with cramps. I did fall from a different stand last season,being foolish with no climbing harness and unfamiliar with the stand. Fortunately I wasn't injured seriously and my son got to watch his old man slide down a tree like a black bear (his words),until I lost my grip about fifteen feet up. I'll be using climber and harness until I physically can't do it anymore. I like the versatility of climbers.

Well guys, a few weeks shy of 54 here and man, lugging the Summit in is gettin' old. Last weekend, I did AM and PM hunts and decided to climb instead of using my ladder stands. It didn't help that in the morning I forgot to hook up my haul line and had to double climb. Then, in the PM, I dropped my stinkin' cross-bow and had to climb down and get the thing (thankfully it was not damaged and the POI didn't shift). Anyway, when I was in bed that night (sorry, this doesn't get dirty) I cramped up really bad. Not your standard Charlie Horse but those adductor muscles that run up into the groin and along the inner side of the thigh locked right up in both legs. It was excruciating and by the time they relaxed, I was sweating. I stood up and leaned into the wall and after a few minutes, they went away but man did that hurt. Gettin' old ain't for sissies. More bananas and Gatorade for me I guess.

Search "precision hydration ".
They talk about sodium depletion as a possible cause of cramp

Whipper Snapper, you ain't seen nothin' yet. Wait til that "5" rolls over to a "7" and get back to me on how nice that "5" time was. :) :) :) Hydration, hydration, hydration, potassium......bananas or tablets, pre-conditioning, and genes.......select your parents wisely. My father extended his hunting/packing distance well into his "8" with a wheeled travois rig. Attach one or two wheels (large diameter, ultralight to easily roll over obstacles) between couple lengths of Schedule 40 PVC pipe with lead ends attached to a modded pack waist belt. ...weight bears on hips rather than shoulders/back. Rig bears most of the weight packing in and out. makes a wheeled travois...aka game cart...... to pack game out. Dual duty. Modify pipes length/material per weight to be carried. If Summit length is sufficient with your height, might attach wheel/s directly to Summit as its own game cart. Modify your hunt regime as necessary, but never, never quit huntin'.

Interesting testimony and nice to hear about the hunting longevity in your lineage. Your last sentence says it all.

-YZ

The one big addition that has helped immensely when I carry stand are trekking poles. Helps maintain balance when in sticky stuff. I also place bow in stand with bow sling that protects string and cables. The poles will help extend your distance and just keep you upright! I've mentioned Walmart trekking poles several times in other threads. They have cam locks and are tough as it can be. I have bought $$$$ ones that have not held up as well. So for $20 how can you go wrong for two of them. They just work! My size hasn't killed them yet after 3 years hard use in SD Badlands and CO high altitude.

Trekking Poles
Link from LRH thread with link to Walmart.

Link is no longer valid, trying to find them now for you.

HOLY COW! Cannot find them on Walmart site at all so guess I should have kept my mouth shut! If you have a Walmart nearby, they still may have some in their camping department. Come as a pair and are either black or anodized chartreuse color. They did sell for less than $19 for the pair. I am headed to Wally World to see if they have them and buying a set for backup!

Last edited:
So I used my Summit last night. Climbed tree and reached into vest for bow hook🤬. Nope not there🤬🤬 So had to lay bow across rails, not exactly efficient but works. Shooter freezer doe walks right in at 15 yards and getting ready for shot, hear another deer coming. Layoff and hoping a buck was following, nope her yearling just making ton of noise. Switched back to doe and now n shot🤬🤬. Yep so here is picture of yearling that screwed me up! Walked right under me which is always cool. So at 70 still using Summit and still love the hunting opportunities it can provide!
6E1A2126-7E5D-4F5C-A871-194FFF0DFB71.jpeg

I hunted out of my loggy bayou yesterday, on the backside of 63 been training and losing weight since January 6th. Two weeks ago I packed out both hind quarters of my elk off the mountain at the same time on my freighter pack.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.