getting a 243 savage barrel

shanman2004

I have decided to switch my 22-250 model 12 savage to a 243 win. Im going to order a 22in stainless fluted varimt barrel from northland shooters. first question what twist do you think I should got with1-8, 1-10? Im going to be useing this as a coytoe/ groundhog gun. ANd have heard good things of the 88 gr berger fb. SO was l=kinda thinking of using them as my starting point. Second question anyone care to share what powder,primer,brass they use for the load? third should i get a new recoil lug to replace the factory one? forth anyone have any good recomendations on a good stock. I kinda like the tactial look but need something that would work good for feild condtions. I will only shoot off a bench while doing load work up...... just wondering your best options are?

First off i'd go with a 26" but atleast a 24" minimum id also use a twist that matches the reccomendations of the heaviest bullet I planned to shoot, personally for distance anything less than a 95grn berger is a waste and you may as well be shooting your 22-250, id use an 8 twist with 105 bergers, amaxs, or lapuas, or 107 smk's, Imr or H 4350 or 4831 are good powder choices, lapua is the best brass, br2s or 210m's are your best primers. Also get the varmint or sendero contour, I reccomend a sss, badger ordinance, or callahan recoil lug and a bell and carlson medalist A2. If you want to limit yourself to the 88grn berger and a few common slightly heavier hunting bullets a 10 twist will do, but you will likely regret it. Good luck.

The 88gr's are deadly and have a high BC for the weight and will need at least a 1:10 in a .243 based on ogive of the bullet. I would do at least a 1:9 but the 1:8 will let you shoot the >100gr's if you choose. A 24" barrel is ideal for the .243 and the amount of powder it burns.

IMHO,

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.