Get Smart Ballistically - Use A Ballistics Program By Darrell Holland

--->The buck that "Big Al" killed last year at 600 yards with a top of the back hold and a 100 yard zero is now classified as B.S. <---

It's amaizing how often you hear a story like that in the Bar!

I have not yet purchased a Balistic Programn. For those of you that have used them, how would you compare them to something like JBM?

I have been using the program that came with my shooting crony chronograph and it works great it has all the basics (bullet drop, wind drift, bullet energy at range etc.....) it has been invaluable to me when making a new load for a specific purpose
gun)

JBM is good.
I don't use the web based ones though since I have Exbal, Sierra's and Holland's.

I really like Holland's for making handy drop charts for field use.

i doubt many would argue the value of modern equiptment and technolegy. ( bear with me, i dont have spell check) i certainly dont argue it.
problem is some of us were around this activity when there wasent any, or at least not much of it.
it used to be there were very few bullets to choose from.
click charts were made, by shooting various distances. (and yes i did say click charts)
now im not insinuating we all go back to that method. but fact is it did work, and it worked very well.
we are now being led to believe we cant shoot our way out of a barn unless we have all sorts of gadgets to measure things.
and we better have a $2000 scope to dial it all into.
i will remind you, that at the past super shoot held in july at williamsport, about 1/3 of the heavy gun shooters were unable to keep all their shots on paper.
so much for expert wind reading, and there arent better experts than these guys.
in a hunting situation, across those wide valleys, there are no experts.
it can change while your chambering the next round.
there is a major difference between big als barroom b.s., and very succesful hunters who dont subscribe to all the other b.s.
just one opinion, others are welcome to their own.

Yobuck is kinda right and kinda wrong. I started hunting and match shooting back in the middle 50's. We made up dope charts by shooting and keeping a log. I still do, but now I have a computer and some great free programs like you'll find at 4shared - free file sharing and storage - share folder - My 4shared

Now days I settle on a load, enter the data, print up a dope sheet, go to the range and fire the dope sheet. Then I go back to the computer and fiddle the data untill the dope sheet matches the real range info. Then I print a verified dope sheet to attach to my gear. The best computer program in the world won't match real world conditions but they sure save a lot of ammo gettin it right.

i will admit to being kinda wrong regarding the use of programs while working up loads.
but then i havent changed my loads in many years.
i am doubtful however when told the proper load can be established without actually firing the gun.
im also doubtful when told with the use of weather meters, cosign indicators, calculators and the like, one shot kills can be expected at serious distances.
im of the opinion that weather meters give wind information on the spot.
not much help when shooting across a wide valley of 1000 yds. or more, where wind could be blowing in several directions, at different speeds.
untill somebody actually proves me wrong, ill still put my faith in my spotter, and not bother to own the other stuff.

And that's where we agree 100%. In my view the computer programs are great for predicting what a bullet will do at a given range, at a given temp, altitude and wind. Like you, most of my loads were worked up many years ago and still do just fine. The one change I have made was to use VMAX bullets in my different Varmint rifles.

The change in BC required new dope sheets. I plugged the new numbers into my computer and took the results to my local 600 yard range. The firing results did not match the computer model so I adjusted the BC and MV input until they did. My favorite Dog town is 2000 feet higher in elevation than my home range and usually 50 degrees warmer. When the new dope sheets were adjusted and applied to that dog town I was in the ballpark. I still had to figure the range, dope the wind, work the mirage and pull the trigger.

Install Data Card Software question

I've been able to run the software from the disk. How do I install it to my hard drive?

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.