Generalized bullet selection for hunting….

Here's a small excerpt from the original rough draft of a book I'm working on (already since copyrighted). I feel at least this much is good to share here, but I'm fully aware a lot stated here is controversial, especially in this forum. I'm reluctant to post this, but I'll try it anyways. It might be a TLDR post anyways for some 🤷🏼‍♂️

Starting out, I'll give an example scenario: let's say a skeptical hunter has been on the internet looking at others' experiences hunting and has seen many folks talk about their successes using match style "target" bullets on their hunts. He decides to give it a go himself and buys a box of Hornady ELDMs or Sierra TMKs (just as an example), works up a good load, and is ready to go out on a hunt. He has this beautiful buck come walking out at 280 yards, it's quartering heavily to him, yet he aims in his usual spot (just behind the shoulder). He takes the shot, the buck leaps, then makes an attempt at running, makes it about 5 yards, and then piles up. Upon getting to the animal, he discovers there's no exit wound. This has already raised a flag for him, as he has been raised to desire an exit to create a blood trail if tracking is required, which typically it has been in the past with bullets he's used to using. So now he's already thinking this bullet hasn't really performed as he'd hoped or thought it should. Now he begins to field dress the buck, and during the process has discovered the bullet did a good number on the rear lobe of the left lung, then sees multiple lacerations on the liver, then sees bits of rumen and evidence the bullet traveled into the guts. He's been more convinced now this bullet didn't perform well. He's found bits of jacket and bits of lead here and there in the cavity and tissues as well, concluding the bullet completely came apart and failed as a result. He's just made the conclusion that he was right, these bullets have no place in hunting as they just "blow up" and don't even produce an exit wound so you can properly track it.

So let's stop and take a closer look at that example. Let's clear our minds and any bias based on what you might have been previously taught. In that particular scenario, a tougher constructed bullet, such as the highly popular Remington Core Lokts, Nosler Accubonds or Partitions, Hornady ELDX or SST, etc, etc might have actually performed much worse with that particular shot. They typically wouldn't have come apart quite as much and while the animal likely would still have died at some point, it also most likely would have been a much slower death and very likely would have ran a long ways before succumbing to its wounds and/or asphyxiation. Yes, an exit would have, could have, definitely proved useful in that situation. It's very possible any of those bullets would have simply gone through the lung and punched out between the liver, and in that scenario, a lot of times death doesn't occur for a long time.

Bullets such as Sierra TMKs, Hornady ELDMs or A-Tips, Bergers of the hybrid design, etc are actually very forgiving to less than ideal shot placements like in that example because they do indeed come apart and they'll inflict much more damage, create much wider wounding, and cause a much faster death. The softer/frangible bullets still tend to shed enough material outwards that they'll still hit liver and/or lung when shot placements aren't ideal and are in that "no man's land", and will typically still cause enough blood loss to find and recover the animal not far from where it was shot.

What a lot of people see when using bullets like the TMKs, Bergers, ELDMs, etc is what looks like the bullet came apart and didn't exit, and to them it seems like poor performance, but what they fail to realize and comprehend is what's right in front of them. They actually DO have the animal and they're actually able to cut it open to see those results, rather than still out there trying to find the animal.

When a bullet actually fails, you don't have an animal to examine, typically, so it's easy to make that misconception. The animals that get hit with shots like that and with bullets like Core Lokts, etc, and the animal simply takes off never to be found, is when most people think they simply missed. In reality, most times they do hit the animal, but the bullet did not transfer enough energy to drop it, nor create sufficient blood loss in a timely matter to cause a quick enough death to even see the animal ever drop.

A lot of hunters tend to only look at the deer/animals recovered and create a bias on the perceived results based solely on those instances. They don't factor in the ones that got away because they either figure they missed or they simply never see the results to even know what really happened inside the animal and with that particular bullet. In my example, they see a bullet that came apart and want to assume that it's poor performance, even if the animal dropped on the spot or only went a few feet or yards. They tend to focus on things they've heard or have been told and only focus on the small picture rather than the big picture and what's right in front of them.

Many people want to conclude that a bullet that didn't exit failed. Honestly, if it truly failed, you wouldn't have the animal to even see that it didn't exit. More times than not, the true failures are the times the animal was never recovered because the bullet simply didn't inflict sufficient trauma to cause a quick enough death, or death at all. Bullets that create exits that allow for a blood trail, and a blood trail that's actually needed to track it, are also, in my opinion and experience, to be considered not ideal performance since needing to track it via a blood trail is a sign that death did not occur as fast as it could or should have. That said, no bullet is going to work 100% of the time, every time. There are always going to be anomalies with both the bullet, and the particular animal. Some animals are dead on their feet and can defy all odds and logic and still manage to run without having any of its vital organs still intact. It's truly remarkable sometimes. These situations shouldn't be cause for rejection either.

Moving on, another common misconception and misunderstood subject involves meat loss/damage and meat saving shots.

The amount of meat damage with certain shots will always depend on bullet construction/composition, impact velocity and amount of resistance, and things like angle of the shot, muscle tension and density upon impact. A relaxed shoulder will typically result in different amount of wounding vs a contracted shoulder. Even the bullet's RPMs has a big influence on wound channel size as well, in regards to centrifugal forces causing the bullet to come apart more or less.

Besides headshots and gut shots, it's near impossible to get reliable and repeatable results- killing quickly and humanely (not talking ethics here)- without losing at least some meat. It's just the nature of the beast. Proper bullet selection is crucial. By placing your shot accordingly, based on that particular bullet and the impact velocity it'll be at when it hits the animal, and at the distance you engaged it, you can balance out the amount of expansion and penetration and achieve best results with minimal meat damage yet still an emphatic death.

Hunters that desire a quick and clean kill with zero meat loss in a repeatable, consistent, and reliable manner are living in a fantasy world, sorry to say. Sure, you can get lucky, but getting lucky is not a repeatable, consistent, and reliable thing.

Blood loss is what kills most efficiently, reliably, and quickly. Hitting an animal in the body and inflicting enough blood loss to kill the animal quickly, but not lose any meat is just not something you can count on. You run more of a risk losing an animal with bullet performance like that than you do dropping them and killing them quickly. And honestly, if you use the right bullet, within the limits of that bullet, you're really not going to lose a lot of meat with a shoulder shot. Guys act like shoulder meat is the best meat on the animal and that they're going to lose so many pounds of meat placing their shot there. That's simply not true. Not unless you used the wrong bullet or placed it in the shoulder when it would be impacting well outside it's limits, as in too high of an impact velocity and/or amount of resistance for the bullet type and weight you're using. That'll result in shallow penetration and over-expansion near the surface. That indeed will result in more meat lost, but that's not the bullet's fault or necessarily the shot placement's fault either. It's the hunter's/shooter's fault for not knowing that would be a poor shot placement under the circumstances for that particular bullet. That's when a behind-the-should shot, or neck shot, or even head shot would actually be a better choice.

Bullets that don't shed weight and hold together do tend to reduce meat loss/damage, but that comes at a trade-off. Typically, the overall amount of wounding is less with that type of bullet. If it impacts below its ideal velocity, the amount of wounding will be even less. If you miss vitals, you may very well miss recovering the animal too. A well constructed cup and core bullet, for example, that will indeed shed weight can be much more forgiving in that particular scenario since it would produce wider wounding and may still reach vitals and be the difference between recovering the animal or not.

Ultimately, there are multiple factors to consider, but in my experience and all the research and studying I've done and with all the other info shared out there from others' hunts and experiences, I have concluded you simply cannot guarantee consistent, reliable, repeatable quick and clean kills with zero meat loss. It's always been worth it to me to pick the right bullet and place it accordingly and lose a little meat than it is to risk losing ALL the meat by potentially not recovering the animal.

You can't guarantee a particular presentation of the animal either to count on executing your favorite particular shot placement. You can, however, still place your shot in other ideal areas to give you desired results- that being a quick and clean kill and a recovered animal.

When a hunter starts talking about how they want a bullet that penetrates deep, doesn't damage meat, and gives them a big blood trail to follow, it immediately tells me they don't fully understand terminal ballistics and bullet construction/composition, and the anatomy of the animal they're hunting, along with the basics in effective killing of game animals. You do not NEED a blood trail if you truly know what you're doing, are using the best bullet for the job, and place it in the appropriate place according to the situation you're presented with. A lot of people like to use the phrase "if I do my part". Well, I say that means knowing all of the things I just mentioned. Also, if you actually use the right bullet and can implement the high shoulder shot under your particular circumstances, you won't need a blood trail to track it.

This leads me to yet another misconception often discussed and touted as a crucial factor and something used as a minimum factor for a particular load/ammunition they're using, and that's energy. Personally, I stopped even looking at energy several years ago now. It's just not even a concern of mine if I know the minimum impact velocity limitation of the particular bullet I'm using, and if I'll be within/above it. Impact velocity, sectional density, and shot placement are the main factors I worry about, and the things that influence those things. Energy is great, don't get me wrong, but it's only a potential and the bullet has to transfer that energy for it to really work in your favor.

Ultimately, you still need to inflict sufficient blood loss along with transferring any energy. That's what's most important. So an extra 100-300fps or 200-400ft-lbs, for example, isn't really going to matter much. What really should be the focus is impact velocity as a threshold number, not energy. Energy, in regards to bullets and terminal ballistics, is only a potential, and if the bullet doesn't expand properly, it won't dump all the energy into the animal anyways. How a bullet performs terminally is dependent upon impact VELOCITY, the amount of resistance it encounters upon impact, and of course the construction/composition of the particular bullet used.

Most of the minimum energy figures you see stated and recommended out there are not good information and are made by those that either don't fully understand, or don't understand at all, terminal ballistics. It's unfortunately given many others a false sense of what is important too. When you see bullet manufacturers, conservation agencies, big names in the industry, etc talk about minimum energy needed, it's easy to trust them and believe it's a figure you need to look at, but it's just not. If the bullet doesn't expand properly, it won't transfer that energy at the right time, or at all. What ultimately kills is blood loss. Transferring/dumping a ton of energy is beneficial only to shut down the central nervous system (CNS). That'll drop the animal, putting it into a temporary coma, allowing it to bleed out where it lies.

So ideally, yes you do want sufficient energy, but if you're not using the right bullet and not placing it in the right area, it won't matter. You could have 2000 ft-lbs of energy in a bullet at the time of impact, but if the bullet punches or pencils right through, most all of that energy just exits with the bullet and the animal typically gets away. So what did all that energy do for you? Nothing.

My figures with ideal impact velocity ranges come from tons of personal research and experience, not from advertisements from manufacturers. Once you get a really good grasp on terminal ballistics and bullet construction/composition, and know how certain types of bullets perform terminally, you can look at a particular bullet that you haven't used personally and you can already form a really good idea and assumption of how that bullet will perform based on that prior experience.

The thing that's helped hunters using magnum cartridges (or any cartridge pushing typical high velocities) is the velocity they achieve, not so much the energy they produce. The impact velocity tends to be more than sufficient at typical ranges they're used. With those cartridges though, and using softer constructed bullets below .260 sectional density, and on larger/tougher game, especially with shot placements where resistance upon impact is high, you can experience shallow penetration and over-expansion.

That said, there's actually plenty of vitals behind the shoulder, and if the animal is quartering to, pretty much all the vitals will be through the shoulder. So with the right bullet, used where it would still be within its limits (sufficient sectional density, impact velocity, etc), that's a great placement even though resistance will typically be high. The lungs hold the most blood and a double lung shot will allow an animal to bleed out quicker than a heart shot, especially if the heart is still pumping. The biggest parts of the front lobes of the lungs are behind the shoulder of most animals. There's an autonomic plexus (nerve bundle) behind the shoulder too- the brachial. Hitting it with enough hydrostatic shock will shut down the CNS, dropping the animal, and with sufficient hydraulic shock (bullet expansion and wound channel size) the animal will bleed out before it can recover. It's an ideal shot placement. It's not ideal though if your particular bullet won't handle the amount of resistance it'll encounter though. That'll be dependent upon the construction type sectional density, and impact velocity though, as I've also mentioned.

***The above would be extra info to go along with the info in my posts linked above. Take this for what you will. An improved and much longer and more detailed version is coming in boom form hopefully soon, for whatever that's worth. I just strive to help hunters succeed, same as I strive for myself.

I was gonna say, you're an idiot, (jokingly that is) just to say that. But I'm not gonna do it.

I'm with you on the Barnes. I emailed Barnes asking what's the lowest velocity for full expansion. This was their reply,

200 gr LRX = 1600 fps

208 gr LRX = 1700 fps

212 gr LRX = 1600 fps

Haven't tested it yet, but I'm sure someone will chime in.
I too want a bullet that holds together.

From what I understand the ELD X at close range is very explosive. I will find out when I get that new 300prc within a month.
In my experience, there's a big difference between "expansion" snd "adequate expansion". I have yet to see what I consider reliable and adequate expansion on Barnes below an impact velocity of 2000fps, although the LRX in particular is better than the TSX or TTSX.

Regarding the ELDX:

The ELDX has a significantly thicker jacket than the ELDM, plus it has the interlock ring, but overall the ELDX is still a relatively soft bullet- in that it's not actually bonded and the jackets taper in thickness. The ELDM, on the other hand, does not taper in jacket thickness.

With too high of an impact velocity, the ELDX can still suffer from poor penetration and over-expansion. Where they differ the most from the ELDM is on the lower end of impact velocity. The thicker jacket and interlock ring will really start holding the bullet together more so than the ELDM at impact velocities dipping below like 1800fps, especially with lower resistance upon impact as well. So the ELDM shines the most if you need a bullet that performs very well still at impact velocities around 2000fps and less.

For close range shots, what you need is a sufficient amount of sectional density, which is the amount of mass behind the frontal area of the bullet. How much you need will depend on the bullet construction and your expected impact velocity. An ELDX will still do better with more SD for close range (high impact velocity) shots due to how thin the jackets are at the ogive. If there's not enough mass behind the ogives, there might not be enough bullet left to do the job after the front starts coming apart on impact.

A bullet with thick jackets, but without tapering, would actually be better with LESS SD. You'd want less SD to lower the amount of penetration so that you can still achieve sufficient expansion. The Sierra TGK is a good example. The cores on those are also made of a harder lead alloy and lower the rate of expansion as well. That type of bullet will come apart at a slower rate having the same thickness at the ogive as at the bearing surface area. With too much mass, it'll just punch right through before it has a chance to fully expand. Lowering the mass (SD) will lower the rate of penetration and balance out the expansion versus penetration. The same goes for actual bonded bullets too. If you go with a version with too much weight (SD) you'll end up with more penetration than expansion. Lowering the weight helps balance the two. Same concept with copper bullets too, but high impact velocity is even more crucial with those. You want relatively low SD and a high impact velocity for best results with those.

Over the years I have used ballistic Tips and Accubonds. I haven't tried the Hammer bullets yet. I don't really have a rifle that has the twist rate to handle them. I didn't generally carry a camera with me to take pictures of wound channels. Over the 64 years I've hunting I have looked a great many animals killed by me and others more so. Found that Partition don't like high velocity or at close range. Only used a 100gr in my 25/06 once and bloodshot one entire side of a deer at about 40yds. Never use them again. At that time I changed to 120 Nosler SPBT and have used them after that. I move up to 308NM with 165gr Ballistic tips for elk hunting and deer hunting @ 3300fps. They did a great job from close range out 500yds or so. Most of the time I didn't have a range finder either. Shots or kills were from 40yds to over 300yds appox. No ranger finder at those times. Very little meat damage at any range I was shooting at. Over the years I seem to like the 338 WM round better on elk class animals better. I have looked at other animal that were taken by other hunters using .338 WM chambers, over those same years.
Does Nosler even make a SPBT any longer? I'd love to get some of them.

Thanks @Petey308 …..good post. I see you like the explosive performance. I too think it is great when it hits a vital and throws lead into other vitals as you described.

Do you consider the tumbling that match bullets do at low velocity good performance?

I agree with your fundamental statement that reviewing bullet performance on dead game should be viewed as good.

I just wonder what happens when it hits a shoulder or rib and deflects away from the vitals. This won't happen broadside, but sometimes when steeply quartering. This is the main thing that has refocused my mind on the concept of reliable expansion with an exit hole.

Like an idiot, I tried a Texas heart shot on a deer…..the bullet blew up on a hip bone. Needless to say it was not fatal. Fortunately, my second shot was. I believe a mono would have lost a petal and killed it dead right there.

Thanks @Petey308 …..good post. I see you like the explosive performance. I too think it is great when it hits a vital and throws lead into other vitals as you described.

Do you consider the tumbling that match bullets do at low velocity good performance?

I agree with your fundamental statement that reviewing bullet performance on dead game should be viewed as good.

I just wonder what happens when it hits a shoulder or rib and deflects away from the vitals. This won't happen broadside, but sometimes when steeply quartering. This is the main thing that has refocused my mind on the concept of reliable expansion with an exit hole.

Like an idiot, I tried a Texas heart shot on a deer…..the bullet blew up on a hip bone. Needless to say it was not fatal. Fortunately, my second shot was. I believe a mono would have lost a petal and killed it dead right there.
I wouldn't say I prefer "explosive" performance, but wide wounding and a good deal of hydraulic shock. I don't want the bullet coming apart completely, before it's job is done. That's why is crucial to have sufficient sectional density with softer/frangible bullets if impact velocity and/or impact resistance would be high.

I personally have not had any issues with the "match style" bullets I use with tumbling at low velocity. I've tested them thoroughly on targets at many impact velocities and distances to ensure they remain stable. I don't take shots on game where my bullet would begin transitioning from supersonic to subsonic anyways, for s few reasons. I wouldn't want to use any bullet that tumbles because that leads to unpredictability and unreliable results.

As far as shoulder shots, I take them when able. That means when the bullet wouldn't encounter too much resistance at too high of an impact velocity. I avoid direct shoulder shots if the bullet would impact above 2600fps, as my personal rule of thumb. I will place my shot just a head or just behind the shoulder, depending on animal presentation and what my impact velocity would be and the particular bullet I'm using. The short answer is: with sufficient sectional density, the bullet tends not to deflect so much as to penetrate. Steep quartering shots always tend to come with a lot of risk of deflection. Just visualize the path of the bullet and where the vitals are with a particular shot placement and also the anatomy the bullet has to deal with. Place your shot where it makes the most sense.

Texas heart shots are always messy and I would only take one if I really felt I had to. You're asking a lot of any bullet, plus asking to spoil meat with contaminating it with gut material. That said, I've seen many softer/frangible bullet actually perform very well with that shot and drop them dead on the spot.

There are many considerations that need to take place with the bullet you choose, how it inherently behaves terminally, and how to place your shot as required for the best possible end result. Understanding the limitations of the different bullet types and how to select the right one for your needs is the main hurdle.

Here are some rules of thumb regarding where I put TYPICAL limitations for the three bullet types. I'm reluctant to post this though since it's not an absolute at all and there are many factors that go into how a bullet actually performs and behaves once it impacts an animal. Please keep this in mind. The amount of sectional density the bullet has really affects these numbers and ranges, as does how much resistance the bullet will encounter based both on shot placement and body size/weight of the particular animal.

•Impact velocity range for tough constructed bullets: 1800-2600fps, ideally. If impact velocity will be above 2600fps, avoid high impact resistance shots like shoulders. If impact velocity falls below 2400fps, and especially below 2000fps, aim for areas where impact resistance will be higher, particularly shoulders.

•Impact velocity range for soft/frangible bullets: 1400-2400fps, ideally and depending on the particular one used. If impact velocity will be above 2400fps, avoid high impact resistance shots like shoulders. If impact velocity falls below 2200fps, and especially below 1800fps, aim for areas where impact resistance will be higher, particularly shoulders.

•Impact velocity range for homogeneous bullets: 2200-3200fps, ideally for most designs out there. Honestly, as long as you will impact above 2200fps, I'd be aiming high shoulder to hit the thoracic plexus as well as both lungs. If impact velocity is going to be on the real high end, like above 3000fps, I'd reduce impact resistance so that you don't simply rip off petals and leave yourself with just a caliber sized hole going through the rest of the animal from just the shank of the bullet.

What is a bullet post without a discussion of energy! First there are newtons laws.

First law of thermodynamic: (if I remember right)Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but it can be transformed from one form to another.

The energy you see on a box of ammo or ballistic calculator is kinetic energy. I want you to think of that number as battery capacity.

When a bullet flys through the air, it loses energy to the air because it loses velocity…..due to drag(heating), etc. When it hits the animal, it loses energy due to energy transformation. It uses the animal to expand the bullet(work) and that further increases energy transfer in the way of hydraulic and hydrostatic shock to the animal. So the work being done on the bullet and on the animal are creating a huge temporary and permanent wound cavity. Then something exits. If you could measure weight and velocity exiting, you would know how much energy was lost into the animal. That is the energy number you want. The amount of energy put into work in the animal.

We don't know that….unless the bullet stops Inside the animal. This can be effective, but really doesn't leave a blood trail or enough holes for blood to exit. I'm not a medical professional, but it seems like when bullets don't exit, animals can maintain blood pressure for just a few moments longer. This can allow them to escape. On a poor shot, then can go a long ways…days, weeks… on a good shot they can just drop dead or last long enough to be hard to find. Tracking blood from an exit makes this easier.

This is why I think bullet exit to be a key factor. Bullets that exited always made for easy tracking and quick death. Bullets that didn't exit always required a follow up shot…..often times nearly losing the animal.

Back to reality. This is why energy is meaningless. You just need to know at what velocity range will it expand. A bullet that holds together and expands will exit usually. An exit will bleed well usually.

Generally, the only time this is not true is when bullet diameters get big or velocities are low. This is generally the case for hard cast loads or solids. A 500gr bullet at 2200fps lengthwise through an elephant needs to be a solid to ensure exit. A mono could work, but may not exit.

A bullet used for double shoulder shots ought to be a mono or something very tough to get that exit through big bones. Sometimes you hit both big bones! IMO, a mono can do that. I don't think a match bullet can. I have been lucky enough to never hit both big bones on a shoulder shot.

In essence, this is what the bonded cup&core designs as well as mono's are doing. They hold together enough to penetrate through to exit in tough big boned animals.

In all fairness, I believe you have covered this topic pretty well in the 3-5 threads I've seen your posts in. Good work sir. Not much left to add!

I personally love the detailed information that you provide on bullets and construction. Thank you for all the time you have put into your posts trying to educate us on your experiences and testing.

Provides the information that we all can use to properly select the bullet that functions the way we want it to. We all like different things when it comes to how we feel a bullet performs.

Steve

What is a bullet post without a discussion of energy! First there are newtons laws.

The energy you see on a box of ammo or ballistic calculator is kinetic energy. I want you to think of that number as battery capacity.

When a bullet flys through the air, it loses energy to the air because it loses velocity…..due to drag(heating), etc. When it hits the animal, it loses energy due to energy transformation. It uses the animal to expand the bullet(work) and that further increases energy transfer in the way of hydraulic and hydrostatic shock to the animal. So the work being done on the bullet and on the animal are creating a huge temporary and permanent wound cavity. Then something exits. If you could measure weight and velocity exiting, you would know how much energy was lost into the animal. That is the energy number you want. The amount of energy put into work in the animal.

We don't know that….unless the bullet stops Inside the animal. This can be effective, but really doesn't leave a blood trail or enough holes for blood to exit. I'm not a medical professional, but it seems like when bullets don't exit, animals can maintain blood pressure for just a few moments longer. This can allow them to escape. On a poor shot, then can go a long ways…days, weeks… on a good shot they can just drop dead or last long enough to be hard to find. Tracking blood from an exit makes this easier.

This is why I think bullet exit to be a key factor. Bullets that exited always made for easy tracking and quick death. Bullets that didn't exit always required a follow up shot…..often times nearly losing the animal.

Back to reality. This is why energy is meaningless. You just need to know at what velocity range will it expand. A bullet that holds together and expands will exit usually. An exit will bleed well usually.

Generally, the only time this is not true is when bullet diameters get big or velocities are low. This is generally the case for hard cast loads or solids. A 500gr bullet at 2200fps lengthwise through an elephant needs to be a solid to ensure exit. A mono could work, but may not exit.

A bullet used for double shoulder shots ought to be a mono or something very tough to get that exit through big bones. Sometimes you hit both big bones! IMO, a mono can do that. I don't think a match bullet can. I have been lucky enough to never hit both big bones on a shoulder shot.

In essence, this is what the bonded cup&core designs as well as mono's are doing. They hold together enough to penetrate through to exit in tough big boned animals.
Blood pressure has to do with how much/hard the pump (heart) is pushing it and how much resistance there is from the blood vessels. An exit hole through hide would not affect blood pressure. Only ruptures to blood vessels, arteries, veins, organs, and the heart would affect blood pressure. A loss in blood will reduce pressure too. The lungs hold the most blood, so destroying lungs will destroy a ton of blood vessels and allow for a massive loss of blood, especially if the heart is still pumping it all out into the chest cavity. An exit would only allow that blood to spill out onto the ground.

A bullet that destroys vitals like that but doesn't exit will do more internal damage overall than a bullet that exited because the one that exited hell together more, retaining enough sectional density, to continue to penetrate and carry energy with it. Overall wounding will be less, as a result. That doesn't mean it still won't kill, or even quickly. An exit is only needed when a blood trail is needed because tracking is needed.

You can definitely use too light of a soft/frangible bullet for a particular scenario and/or place it on a spot where resistance upon impact would be too high, and without sufficient sectional density, that bullet will experience shallow penetration and over-expansion. It won't exit and most of the damage will be shallow too, sometimes more so on the surface. All the energy will have gone into the animal though, just not where it needs to go to do the most good. So it's still crucial that you select the right bullet and with sufficient sectional density. That's a key factor and something many hunters get wrong and don't understand.

I've seen match bullets with plenty of sectional density punch right through on double shoulder shots. They're 100% capable of those shots and doing it reliably. You just need to understand how the particular one you're using is constructed and how much SD is needed with that bullet for those shots, and what the limits are as far as impact velocity. If you take a double shoulder shot and it would impact outside its limits, you can't expect it to perform ideally. And just using a mono instead isn't going to automatically give you good performance with that shot either. Those bullets have limitations too and I've seen plenty of double shoulder shots with soft/frangible bullets that have outperformed many monos with the same shot.

If most of your hunting is done at closer ranges or you tend to use fast pushing cartridges that even medium distance shots impact at higher velocities, tougher constructed bullets will work well for you. If you take shots or have a good chance of taking shots where impact velocities would be 2000fps or lower, soft/frangible bullets will overall perform best for you. The best course of action is to simply use the heaviest for caliber version your rifle shoots well and to sufficient speeds. If you're using a soft/frangible bullet with an SD of .280 or more, you can use that without issue of shallow penetration and over-expansion for closer range shots, but you still get excellent wounding and terminal performance well below 1800fps impact velocities too. Bonded and/or monos just don't do that as well.

The amount of discussion isn't really a measure of how pertinent the topic is. Plenty could of just read the information and not posted anything. Just make notes of the observation and carried on.
Oh I'm sure that happens and has happened. I'm just surprised because typically in this forum, that doesn't happen a lot with a subject like this lol.