Gemsbok Oryx

Raidergrad

So I drew the once in a lifetime tag in NM this year. Right now I am planning on taking a .300 win mag with a .280 AI as a backup. Both shoot great out beyond 1000- the win mag with 215 burgers, and the 280 AI with 162 ELD-X.

Ive personally never killed an oryx but have heard they are tough. I am curious what you guys think on where to shoot them and what you guys think about shooting them at 800-1000 yards? Shooting that distance isn't a problem for me but I'm trying to decide where I should be shooting them for effective killing, and then based on that what kind of energy I am going to need. Will probably base my max effective distance on those answers.

What do you guys think?

for a "once in a life time" hunt, I would be as close as I could, weather it be 100 or 1000 yrds. I too have heard that they are tough animals, for that reason I would use a tough bullet (non-fragmenting) A-frame, partition, interlock, gameking/game changer, mono, etc. Just my thoughts right or wrong..........above all have a great time and be safe!!!!

Gemsbok are tough, and if you wound them, can be very dangerous and they can run forever. Your 300WM is plenty but I would suggest you dial your range back somewhat, as mentioned above if its a once in a lifetime hunt, get closer. And, most importantly, look at some vitals diagrams of the beast. A good vitals shot is 1/3 up the body from the bottom of the chest straight up the front leg, i.e., directly into the shoulder. The heart sits between the front legs, and the lungs sit right above the heart and sit mostly between the shoulders.

I took mine with a 340 Wby & 225 TTSX's.

Killed mine at 30 yards from kneeling after a 40 minute stalk. Killed mine in RSA with a .30-06 with my hand loads using 180 gr Nosler Partation. They are mean when wounded, another hunter did not kill his causing the PH to go into the Bush. charged the tracking dog, which was a little terrier type, until it saw the PH and went after him. The PH killed it with a .38 Special revolver.

Good luck on your hunt

Jerry

I'm all about putting them down quick. Sounds like a shoulder shot is the place. Obviously I'm not ncessarily looking to shoot one at 800-1000 I'd really like to have one at 50...lol! I just want to see what you guys view as possible. I'd like to get as big of a trophy as I can and I've heard both extremes....some people say you can get close .....then others say they bust you from 300-400 away.

I bang-flopped my gemsbok at about 50 yards in RSA with a 270 Winchester and a 156 grain Hammerhead bullet. The core and jacket did separate.

howdy raider, I have had a chance to be on several oryx hunts in and around the white sands of NM. I to would try and get as close as possible. I think shooting them through the shoulder with a tough bullet is the way to go. Good Luck
sending you a PM.

I shot mine on white sands with a 30-06 180gr interlock. Quartering away at 150yards and shot him behind the shoulder. He ran about thirty yards and slowed so I put another in his neck and dropped him. I have no doubt he would have gone down quickly without the follow up but if I have the opportunity I shoot them again. I would not worry about either load you are thinking of both should do fine.

I have taken 3 so far.... Good advice. Shoulder shoot with a tough enough bullet to go through the shoulder in the vitals. Even with good skills 500 yds is a sensible max range. Good luck.
Bruce

So I drew the once in a lifetime tag in NM this year. Right now I am planning on taking a .300 win mag with a .280 AI as a backup. Both shoot great out beyond 1000- the win mag with 215 burgers, and the 280 AI with 162 ELD-X.

Ive personally never killed an oryx but have heard they are tough. I am curious what you guys think on where to shoot them and what you guys think about shooting them at 800-1000 yards? Shooting that distance isn't a problem for me but I'm trying to decide where I should be shooting them for effective killing, and then based on that what kind of energy I am going to need. Will probably base my max effective distance on those answers.

What do you guys think?
I took a large old 44" bull shooting my 300wm with no problems at all.

What's tough about the African game is that their heart and lungs are located lower and more forward than N. American game. Spend some time looking at diagrams of their vitals and place your shot accordingly.

I would definitely recommend a monometal or bonded bullet. My preference runs towards the Peregrines, Hornady Interbond, and Nosler Accubond.

Unless you hit the spine be prepared to track them a hundred yards or more even with a perfect heart/lung shot.

Congrats on a great draw.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.