Gel test Hammer vs Accubond

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish we had time to shoot gel all the time with all kinds of diff bullets. Just not enough time. Would be way more fun though.

OK I am a fan of the original barnes .0049 bullets, I think for dangerous game they are the best.
Has anyone compared the Serria Gameking to these all copper bullets.. If you do I think you will have a real surprise.

OK I am a fan of the original barnes .0049 bullets, I think for dangerous game they are the best.
Has anyone compared the Serria Gameking to these all copper bullets.. If you do I think you will have a real surprise.

As a matter of fact I did that very thing with a .340 Weatherby. First let me cry on your shoulder. The first time I fired it I casually pointed it at the ground and fired to work up a load. The bolt knob went INTO the webbing between my thumb and index finger! Say what?! Anyway back to the question...

I had a pile of sawdust in my yard I used for bullet testing. I fired the Sierra and various other main stream bullets including a 210 partition (about 3,200 feet per second). They all went about 18", except the partition. It traveled about 24". The cavity was very impressive for about a foot and tapered very fast to where the bullet was. All the others fragmented. The 300 grain Barnes velocity was about 2,700 feet per second. It made about a 6" diameter hole all the way through the five foot pile of sawdust! I have not seen any for years.

Very cool. Question, does ballistic gel in any way represent the resistance of bone or only flesh (which is what I would guess)? Reason I ask, is it seems if you shot behind the shoulder you'd get pretty good penetration and expansion, but I am curious as to how to measure gel test performance against a shoulder shot on a Bull Elk - which is pretty stout, as are the shoulders of Rky Mtn Goats and all bears especially the big ones. I know you'd have to be a fool to take a 7mm against a Brownie with 140gr bullets, I'm just curious on bone perf in general.
Ballistics gel represents neither. It's just a consistent medium the FBI uses to test the performance of projectiles. It will give you an idea of how a bullet performs in soft tissue but is not directly comparable to animals. Back in the day I used water-soaked newspaper. I found it to be far tougher on bullets than actual game animals, but it was messy.

No one ever does ballistic gel at longer ranges, truth is pretty darn scary!
Barbourcreek likes doing tests at about 600. They have a few videos including one with a 175 Accubond and a 155 Hammer Hunter at 600. I just wanna see how they do when they are tested below the traditional threshold. Maybe Steve makes a better bullet than he thinks. Either way, I'll be trying some in 2 different calibers soon

If you live in crazy californin I guess the monos are great but in the other 49 states the Nosler bullets are great and next is the Serria gamekings.... Yess Woodledge makes great bullets for Buffalo and elephants ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts