Gel test Hammer vs Accubond

Status
Not open for further replies.
That why I use Barnes. Like a 4 bladed boat prop going thru meat.

The photo is of the Barnes 225gr TSX, out of the 35 Whelen. We (son and I) have gotten the same results with Barnes 180gr TSX in 30-06 Springfield and the Barnes TTSX in .358 Winchester. We hunt with no other bullets than the Barnes bullets. I haven't tried Hammer bullets yet, however from what I have read about them I would not hesitate to use them either.

Attachments

• Bear1.JPG
    Bear1.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
That why I use Barnes. Like a 4 bladed boat prop going thru meat.
I have been using the Barnes 123gr TAC-X in my 7.62x39 AR...I know, I know...worthless com block cartridge...bla bla...this gun shoots lights out. It might even be the best shooting (accurate) AR I have and i have 8...

The shot in this video is at 92 yards with a MV near 2600fps....it had been raining for three days and just stopped 5 minutes before the shot. I say that because the big "cloud" is water coming off the hog...not dust from hitting the ground.

Also sorry there is no sound...must be a compatibility issue with ATN program.

Steve any chance of you coming out with a .451-.452 bullet? I have a 450 Bushmaster hog rifle that could use some Hammer love.
If you want solid copper for a 450 bushmaster, I use the Barnes 50 cal muzzleloader bullets to load 450 bushmaster for some friends. They shoot great, and kill greater. I've killed a bunch of deer using the barnes in my muzzleloader. Haven't lost a deer yet, and I've been using them for 20 years or more.

Thanks for the gel tests Steve. In the lower block, I am not seeing any tracks in the gel for the petals, but they must be somewhere. I have some 124 HH loaded in my 6.5WSM for an upcoming cow elk hunt.

Thank hadjii, I've been going back and forth between the TSX 275gn. and Lehigh Controlled Fracturing 250gn. Don't get me wrong both work. However if I found a bullet that was 300gn. and performed similar to the Lehigh, I think that would be the ticket. Because it sin't enough to kill a hog. You want to put him down fast so he can't travel the 20-25yds. between the two of you.

Thank hadjii, I've been going back and forth between the TSX 275gn. and Lehigh Controlled Fracturing 250gn. Don't get me wrong both work. However if I found a bullet that was 300gn. and performed similar to the Lehigh, I think that would be the ticket. Because it sin't enough to kill a hog. You want to put him down fast so he can't travel the 20-25yds. between the two of you.
Well, I've raised several thousand hogs in my day. Never shot a wild hog, but shot a few that were crippled, sick, or lame, but that was with a 22 behind the ear. Not quite the same as you're talking about. lol

Maybe it's just me, but everyone I've taken has been at close range. The only reason I got a shot at them, was because they were ****ed and charging.

A guy I work with has uncle in Arkansas, and he has sent a few pics of big freakin' hogs that weighed over 300 pounds. They look a bit different than a fat hog that weighs 300 pounds.

Thanks for the gel tests Steve. In the lower block, I am not seeing any tracks in the gel for the petals, but they must be somewhere. I have some 124 HH loaded in my 6.5WSM for an upcoming cow elk hunt.
There is one little piece that stopped in the 1st block. The other pieces followed with the retained shank and stopped a few inches before it did. I will try and take a pic of the bigger block that stopped both bullets. It is cloudy so not very photo genic. The shed petals more often than not exit animals as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.