Gel test Hammer vs Accubond

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know much to anything about these bullets, just curious as to why one turned into a wadcutter and one came completely unwound?

I don't know much to anything about these bullets, just curious as to why one turned into a wadcutter and one came completely unwound?
They both did the same thing, just a difference in the bullet size itself. The shorter bullet with the petals pictured has a smaller shank because it is a smaller bullet. The other one just has a larger shank, as it is a larger bullet. The petals did the same thing, they just aren't pictured with the bullet apparently.

If you look at the pic I posted the retained bullets are sitting on top of the gel blocks.

Very cool. Question, does ballistic gel in any way represent the resistance of bone or only flesh (which is what I would guess)? Reason I ask, is it seems if you shot behind the shoulder you'd get pretty good penetration and expansion, but I am curious as to how to measure gel test performance against a shoulder shot on a Bull Elk - which is pretty stout, as are the shoulders of Rky Mtn Goats and all bears especially the big ones. I know you'd have to be a fool to take a 7mm against a Brownie with 140gr bullets, I'm just curious on bone perf in general.

I'm not sure about accubond being one of the very best hunting bullets. I'd take my swift sciroccos or swift a-frame over an accubond any day, and by the looks of the hammer bullet coming apart, I gotta say no thanks there either. My sciroccos and a-frame retain at least 90% of their weight, and as far as that goes, I have several boxes of old norma bullets that have retained 90% of their weight also in the tests I've ran.

I see excellent expansion from mostly all monos. I'd be great to see a comparison of Hammers vs Barnes TSX and the Hornady GMX. From the recovered Bullet Photo Gallery I am seeing a bit of a difference between the alloys used and/or cavity design, for Barnes and Hornady, based on the peelback characteristic.

Stupid question... So, what's the difference between Hammers and Lehigh Controlled Chaos? From what I've read, the construction principal is the same. I don't follow industry ins and outs...

Excellent Test, and well presented!! Not being familiar with the design and construction of Hammer Bullets, (as I am primarily a White Tail Deer hunter), I tend to ignore super tough bullets, unless prepping for an occasional Elk Hunt. I have been VERY pleased with the excellent results of the 130 Grn Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet, used in my .270 Win. hand loads ., at 3050 FPS , on Deer at 100 to 130 yards . For my next elk hunt , using a .300 Weatherby Mag , I will try your 165 Grn. Hammer Bullets . Thank you for this excellent study!!

Status
Not open for further replies.