Gearing up for Barbary Sheep in New Mexico

Dustyswife98

Time is ticking closer for my hunt for Barbary sheep in New Mexico area 30. I have been lucky enough to draw for the 2012 year in unit 29/30 for these critters. Any folks wanting to chime in on these areas...? Good ,bad or ugly...Sleeping bags on the ground is the current plan... Any folks have knowledge of the temps and wind over there in the beginning of February?

I have the same hunt. A friend of mine went last year and said it was cold. Low teens at night. Some snow.

Congrats on having the same hunt...Well I guess we can plan for the coldness and hope it will not be too bad egh..? I will handle the wind, which I am sure there will be as long as it will be in our favor :D.

None anywhere close to my knowledge...but I have not even looked.
I plan to stay with "Hunt Along Inn" that's were ever it is parked that evening. I understand all the fresh air one can afford is offered there too...

Be ready for anything! Gettin stranded back off in some of those parts can be pretty awful! Bring plenty of water can be a scorcher during the day and freez all your water at night.

Game manager for the unit told me to bring everything you will need, including fuel, because there are no services close by.

Due to the mileage between the points of interest... I have chosen to bring the truck with better mpg and a can of fuel. Closest fuel services are in Carlsbad,Artesia,Pine Springs and Del City, Texas. I was told there is no cell phone coverage either.
The packing trip list is complete with some extras if needed.It about 3/4 packed and stacked already in the garage. Leaving the kitchen sink but taking the wash pan....

Driller 54, per chance do you have knowledge of the prevailing wind direction down there? What about when a front comes in, it can change from bad to worse pretty quick right?

Desertbull, How long are you going out for?

I'd be more worried about the mpg on the best pair of boots ya got cuz that's most likely what it's gonna take to get a good ram not sure on the winds though sorry

Boy is there truth to that...
I have plans to bring 2 pairs of quality broke in boots out there for the terrain and weather, just in case...Quality optics are going to play a big part in this hunt too. Along with the correct hunting garb to help with the fluctuation of temps with out carrying the dresser in the pack.

Hunting hard and smart,staying positive...good things will happen.

Never know maybe ill run into y'all what kinda plates y'all gonna have? If I spot ya I'll have to say hi! I'll probably be the only other dusty on the mountain besides your husband. Good luck!!

Evening, So our plan is to be out there for no more than 2 weeks.
I do think we can find and stir up at least 1 good one with in that time frame...

Driller54, I will PM you

Desertbull, Not sure of the actual date of our departure from there, but no later than the 12th we will be returning home. By then I might have some information for you if interested.

Evening, So our plan is to be out there for no more than 2 weeks.
I do think we can find and stir up at least 1 good one with in that time frame...

Driller54, I will PM you

Desertbull, Not sure of the actual date of our departure from there, but no later than the 12th we will be returning home. By then I might have some information for you if interested.

That would awesome. Thanks.

Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.