Gear priorities

You are getting a pile of great info on this post! As mentioned many times above....optics are essential. If you can't afford new buy nearly new binos plus spotter. Leica or Swaro are tops!

Boots and layering of clothes are essential. It's tough to beat Crispi or Lowa boots. Kuiu and Sitka are tops but their are lots of other brands that are just as good quality for less $.

Backpack....Stone Glacier or Kifaru are the best!

Backpack tent...tough to beat Hilleberg. Some guys swear by T-p's like Kifaru. Others like tarptents for light weight and durability.

Trekking poles are fantastic for hauling camp plus meat. You can pick up a pair of Leki's at Sierra Trading at a bargain price.

The list goes on from there!

My hunt experience is mostly AZ and NM. Warmer here, and lower altitude than some places. If I hunt wet country, I take a Sawyer filter. $20 at Walmart. I wear military camo from Savers or Goodwill. In winter here, everything is brown. You need camo most when you're standing in a meadow. Dark green camo stands out like a sore thumb. My favorite camo is light colored. Air Force or Marine corp digital works well. They have some made for body armor with wicking material except for the sleeves. That's my favorite hunting shirt. The only need for camo at long range (100 yards or more) is to break up the human shape. Different camo top and bottom does that better. Also, the further the distance, the bigger the blobs should be. Buy a Mr. Heater catalytic heater for your tent, with a 5 gallon propane tank. Worth its weight in gold. People in the oil field use Under Armour long johns. I've never shelled out that kind of cash, but the best underwear for weight I"ve found is the ECW Army quilted long john. You can pick any of these items up on eBay.

High country mulies are my passion. Already some great posts regarding wool clothing, boots, etc. I rely on great glass ON a tripod. Saw this guy with my tripod and went over him multiple times when freehanding. Even when I knew where he was, I couldn't see him freehand.
DCDC72E3-3A8E-45A2-B52D-E59912E31999.jpeg

1. yes on good boots - I prefer Merrill Moab Mid Gore-Tex boots (barely over my ankle)
2. range finding binoculars B/C shots are longer and you need to know the range. lighter and less bulk than carrying both binoculars and rangefinder.
3. larger daypack capable of carrying "emergency overnight" gear

Your 6.5 PRC rifle and 15x scope is ideal for western hunting. I use a 4.5 - 18 x 44 Bushnell LRTS. And my rifle is a 6.5 PRC X-Bolt.

Eric B.

Last edited:
If snow gaiters a must,or at least tape your pants to boots.Duct tape fine,done this 100 times.Tape barrel in snow,recommend scope cover of some type,but only if real bad.Can cost u a shot.I get out early and stay late,good headlamp,and back up.Learn a knife well,and what it can do.When I was young I bone sawed elk into 4 with the larger wyom. saw.Now I due everthing knife,pop skull at joint,same for 1/4's. I carry good light 4oz.knife in pack,one always on pocket,and I like a caper, but not a must.Have a first aid ,med kit,I always have small bennie when colder.para cord,helps when alone and wrestling bull.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.