Gauging interest - NM long range hunting matches

Discussion in 'Long Range Competition' started by cwinner, Oct 30, 2018.

1. cwinner

cwinner Well-Known Member

Kicking around a concept with some other New Mexico long range shooters about developing a series of field style long range matches geared towards long range hunters.... I've been shooting PRS/NRL style matches since 2012 with a lot of Sporting Rifle and CD matches thrown in and I really love the field style matches.

New Mexico has such great terrain it seems like a natural fit..... thinking 3-4 events through the summer with a finale in early September before hunting season!

Course of fire would be hunting rifle friendly with targets out to 1k or greater and no more than 5/6
    Shots per stage to limit barrel wear on the average hunting type rifle..... use whatever gear you'd carry all day hunting and whoever hits the most targets wins! Could do a small entry fee and payback 80% or so to a predetermined percentage of entires, lots of options to make it interesting.

There's a pretty good network of guys in the state with experience running local and national level matches that are interested and thought I'd see if there may be any interest......

I know the match concept may be new to many hunters but with the growth of LRH in general it would not only offer great experience and training but a little friendly competetion, kind of like the 3D archery shoots.

Thoughts???

2. rafterfp

rafterfp Well-Known Member

Great Idea, would def be interested.

3. rynomar

rynomar Active Member

Definitely interested and know several others that would be too. I might even have a location that could be used for a shoot, but I will have to look into how feasible it would be and what the liability insurance requirements would be.

4. codym

codym Active Member

I would be interested. I know there are some LE guys here in Cruces that would also be interested. Everytime I'm at the range at butterfield working up loads Ive run into guys that are shooting PRS type rifles and they all have expressed interest in this stuff. Please keep me in the loop fellas

5. cwinner

6. codym

codym Active Member

I think I'm the only guy left in the world that doesnt do facebook....

rynomar and Ckgworks like this.
  7. Ckgworks

Ckgworks Well-Known Member

Nope.... Your not alone, I still don't, and won't unless I'm dragged kicking and screaming! :p I'm not close enough to NM to participate, but it sounds like a good fun time! I hope you can pull it together.

8. cwinner

I get the no Facebook! I joined a couple years ago mainly to keep up with the shooting sports stuff as most of the discussions were going that way.....

I'll make sure anyone interested get an update here as well!

9. codym

codym Active Member

Too many crazy ex girlfriends, don’t want to make it easier for them to find me! Lol updates on here would be much appreciated.