Garmin Rhino Features vs 60csx and others

pyroducksx3

I tried to figure it out through the Garmin website but couldnt. Is there a Rhino model that will do everything the 60CSX will do? Such as upload the BLM maps, ariel maps, and such. Also do the rhinos have the feature where you can point it in a direction enter the yardage and create a way point that way. I really like the features of the 60CSX but I hunt with my dad who is getting older and like the ping and find feature the rhinos can do. It would be nice if I could get this all in one package. Thank You

I tried calling Garmin today to get an answer and the wait time was 40 min! Is this normal for thier customer service? Who has 40 minutes to wait around to get product support? Dissapointing

That's pretty common with Garmin, and that's why small companies like ours can make a living. When you call us a real person answers the phone.

On Garmin's website, select the SPECS tab to view information about the GPS unit capabilities. I believe you can even compare them side by side by clicking a button. If you need the radio on your GPS, just get the 530HCx

I just got done doing that and now I just have a few specific questions. I thinh the 530 or 520 may work I just wanted to be sure before I dropped the money.

My dad and I and a couple friends use the Garmin 530hcx. We simply love them. We have about 300 acres to hunt on with lots of timber and I can get my dad on the radio driving in from about 10 miles down the road. The location reporting is a great feature but the most under rated feature is the text messaging. You can also calculate areas for food plots fencing etc. It is a great tool, ohh and the battery lasts a long time. I bought the mapping software and use it for work (HVAC Contractor). I wish it had a SD slot, a camera, and a fm radio but other than that its about perfect.

Lance

I have two Rino 110's and just ordered a 530 HCx. While checking the Garmin web page I discovered that I needed to update the programs in the 110's from 3.6 to 3.9. As I had not gotten the PC to Rino cable when I bought the units I had to order one of those too. Both units are now updated.:D I'll have to keep and eye out for updates in the future.

While typing the above FedEx came trundling down the drive with the new 530HCx. In playing with it, I tried the Sight an Go feature. I used a lazer rangefinder to get the distance to the neighbors house,(200 yds), and then sighted on the house with the 530 and locked the direction in per instructions. I inputted the distance and took off following the compass. Just for the heck of it I deliberately wandered off course and the warning beep came on when I got too far off course. The proximity beep went off when I was 15 feet from the neighbors house. The only draw back to this system is the aiming mechanism. It is two white lines on the face of the 530 that are about 3/4 inches apart. this will cover too much territory at long range. I think a simple holder for the unit with a single small post would work much bettter, or perhaps a tube attached to the side of the unit. I'm going to play and see what I can get to work.

Last edited:
few years ago I bought a couple of 110´s and found them ok at the time, I bought them for exactly the same reason, (snow and dad).

they crave batteries, three AA´s. I even bought the cable to connect them to my pc and found out that you cannot unload anything....

the radio signal is way better from my talkabout 250. too much noise in the rhinos.

it is very easy to learn the use of the gps.

just hope the newest ones are better with batteries.

they work as promised, one time my brother dropped his rhino and we were able to point exactly where it was and found it after some easy walking to it.

Joe from mexico

Not sure on the feature question on the Rhino, but I have two of the old model rhinos and they are GREAT! Mine do not have the point and add yardage thing but the radio and the pinging are great. The only complaint I have is the screen size on the Rhino. My 73 old Dad has some trouble reading the screen. It is really to small for a GPS.

I have gone to using my iPhone or iPad and one of the many map programs available for GPS. So far where I have hunted I have not had cel coverage problems, but I am sure I will.

I would get the bigger screen GPS and a cheap set of Radios.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.