Garmin Oregon 650t

buzzyb

Is it possible to link this gps to an iPad. I would like to see my position on my onX maps
thanks

To clarify, it sounds like you have the app version of onX on your iPad, is that right? You also have a Garmin Oregon unit which is running something, possibly with an onX chip. And are you asking whether someone looking at onX on the iPad could track where the Garmin unit is located/going? Like allowing someone at home to monitor you while you were in the woods?

I have onX maps on my iPad but I would like to see my position on my iPad with the onX maps. don't know if that's possible or not.
hope that makes sense. I would like to see my position while hunting

If you're running the onX map on your iPad, simply open it and you will see your location. The iPad has its own GPS receiver, so your location (the location of the iPad) should show up automatically. This is independent of the Garmin unit. If you're not seeing your location when you open onX on the iPad, try touching the compass to bring the current view to your location.

A lot of people use only a phone running the onX app when in the woods (or a different app). You're doing the same thing, just with an iPad. It has nothing to do with the Garmin unit and you could leave that at home, if you wanted.

One note: the onX app can pull up maps when you're connected to cell signal or wi-fi. When out of cell range, it can't (but the GPS receiver still works fine without cell signal). To overcome this, you must download maps of your intended location to the iPad before leaving home - do it while connected to wi-fi. Fish around in the onX app for instructions on how to download maps.

I guess what I'm trying to say is can I get real time gps on my iPad while I'm looking at onX maps with no service, so I know where im at on the map. My iPad does not have cellular service

The GPS receiver in your iPad (and your phone) works in real time and it works independent of cellular signal, so it works fine off grid.

But your iPad (and phone) app is set up to pull maps for whatever you're looking at from the Internet, meaning it needs cell/wi-fi signal to render a map on the screen. If you were off grid will no cell signal and no downloaded maps, when you opened the app on the iPad you'd see a gray screen with a blue dot in the middle. The blue dot is you, showing you that the GPS receiver is working. You just can't see where you are because the app can't render a map around you.

That's why you download maps. Once you download maps from the Internet to your device (iPad or phone), then it no longer needs the internet - it has the maps on its internal hard drive. In fact, when I'm in the woods I put my phone into airplane mode to save battery, since I no longer need cell signal. So simply download the maps to the hard drive of the iPad for the area where you intend to be hunting and everything should work fine. I would recommend using airplane mode when you're out there to save iPad battery.

This will happen to you, because it happens to all of us at least once: You'll forget to download the relevant maps before leaving home. You'll then spend time in the parking lot of a coffee shop or whatever logging into a public wi-fi trying to download the maps before entering the woods. Download while you're still home!

Some iPads have gps mine unfortunately doesn't. I need to find a way to hook up gps on my iPad. I appreciate all the information you have given. Thank you

If your iPad does not have a GPS receiver, it is likely a wi-fi only model. For whatever reason, Apple left out the GPS receiver if the unit does not have a cellular receiver. In that situation, I think you have three choices:
1) Use the onX app on your phone instead of iPad - smaller screen, but your phone most likely has a GPS receiver,
2) Buy a bluetooth GPS receiver that links to your iPad and hosts a GPS signal for it. One example is the Garmin Glo 2 with a price around $100 https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/645104
3) Buy a cheap tablet computer (likely not iPad) just to run your onX when you're in the woods

Good luck

Additional note: what you're downloading are exactly the same map layers you see when you're in the app on wi-fi. So first select the map layers you want before downloading.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.