Garmin inReach

schwanman

Does anyone have any experience with the Garmin inReach GPS's? I may be headed to Colorado solo this fall and my wife in particular likes the idea of having the ability to use satellite communication if need be. It would seem they should be able to get at least a message out from anywhere in an emergency so probably not the worst thing to have a one's disposal.

My hunting buddy and I both have them. It's nice to communicate home from anywhere and with each other if we split up. It's not cheap but the expensive plan can be put on hold until next time you need it so you don't have to pay the activation every time and it gives you a ton of texts instead of 20 or so on the lower plan.

I am a solo hunter also. Last year was the first time I had my InReach. I paired it to my I phone and was able to send msg anytime and anywhere I was. The only issue I had was for some reason it kept loosing my cell phone.

Is it safe to say that you guys that have used it feel it's worth the investment?

Living in rural Alaska, I keep one in my go-bag at all times as I'm easily out of cell phone range. They are a bit cumbersome to text with unless you marry it to your smart phone. I use it extensively on summer excursions and fly-in moose hunts. I can use it for a 10 day trip without recharge.

I have one as well. It has come in handy quite a bit. Having it paired to my iPhone is nice for using the map features as well. I think it is well worth the cost.

I have one as well and love having it for several reasons. I backpack hunt and usually go in for 14 days and 10 miles deep. It's nice being able to communicate with my family so they know I'm safe. You can also text with buddies if they have one as well and you hunt seperately. In an actual emergency, you can text with the responders and let them know what's going on versus the brands where you hit the panic button and that's it. I also pair it to my phone which makes it really easy and fast to use. You can get the free garmin Earthmate app for use of maps, so don't spend the extra money on the inreach explorer. You can also receive hourly updates weather forecast. I haven't used it for the reason yet, but before I go on my hunt, I always get the cell numbers of local outfitters in the area in case I need to text them for an animal packout or haul me my camp out if absolutely needed. The price is well worth it, and like others said, they have multiple service plans. I also have the plan where I can disconnect and reconnect anytime throughout the year for no extra cost. Hope this helps

As a solo hunter; an Inreach device is well worth the investment. I've used it in very remote areas and it has never skipped a beat. $250 is a small price to pay for peace of mind for my family and myself.

Over the years, I've also used a SPOT device, but the Inreach 100x faster at sending messages, plus you get message delivery confirmations. I don't sign up for the annual subscription, only sign up for when I need it (1-2 months out of the year). Here is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BX7TJ2O/?tag=lrhmag19-20

I bought an original inReach SE not long after they came out after owning the original SPOT for quite a few years. The SPOT was slow to connect to the satelites and didn't always sent the message, even though the device indicated it did sent them. The inReach has been much more reliable, locks on quickly and has always sent the message I'd typed out. It's been a excellent purchase and I'd do it again!

Been watching this. Wandering if the satellite imagery is better than the Garmin Birdseye. I have a Garmin 64st and have never got the Birdseye feature to work. I have called Garmin several times to be told "we are having server issues" or some other excuse. I understand Garmin bought DeLorme. Kinda my reason for asking. I realize the inReach feature is more than the GPS, but I am more interested in the satellite imagery.

The inreach is worth it. Consider one of the more expensive plans for unlimited texts and the ability to suspend your subscription whenever you don't need the device. Pretty easy online interface to turn on or off your subscription.

Delorme / Garmin have several models. Personally I use the SE model. A bit slow to type messages but reliable and runs on the iridium satellite network which is bomb proof. Literally since the world probably has to end for the sat network to fail - so to speak. The other feature is the SOS button that will vector first responders to your coordinates and allow them to communicate with you.

As others mentioned you can pair it with your smartphone using the earthmate app. This allows you to send and receive texts on your smartphone and simply use the inreach as your connection to the sat network. This allows you to use your contact list on the phone to select someone to text or send text to email. If you use the inreach by itself you have to load your contacts before hand through the online interface so they are stored in the device or you'll have to manually type in their phone number or email address as needed.

Personally to save on battery life I use the inreach as a stand alone device and my smartphone to run onXmaps. Since the inreach has very good battery life and my smartphone doesn't I'm careful using the phone.

Note: the device has to remain on while sending and receiving messages and have a relatively clear view of the sky. A bonus it gives you an indication when your message has been sent or when messages have been received.

To be honest even if your not a solo hunter someone in the group should have one.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.