Garmin inreach mini

I'm still on the fence about whether to buy the Explorer or the Mini, but leaning toward the mini because I already have a very capable GPS with the OnX state chip. To my understanding, the Explorer won't work with that chip.
I have a sheep hunter friend who has used the Garmin mini in northern BC on several occasions and swears by it. He is able to text with his son and another hunter while they are off in other areas with their guides. They use an inexpensive solar panel to recharge their external power sources for iPhones and the minis while they are hunting.
So I'll be doing that in 2021 on my Yukon sheep hunt.

Bought a garmin gps 66i before hunting season this fall. I wanted the satellite text capability and a gps that I could use my onX chips with. It worked great and my wife felt better. Kids loved watching my progress during the day

Purchased a 66i before my two week solo hunt this last season. Really happy with it, and good peace of mind. My wife sure liked knowing I was still alive via text messages.

I ran a Mini all last season and It worked really well. Peace of mind for friends and family and it fits in the side pocket of my AGC Bino pack so it is always close at hand. I was uding the plan where you can turnit on and off and I just changed it last month to the yearly service because I spend a ton of time in the mountains all year around, accidents and mishaps aren't relegated only to hunting seasons.

So if I understand correctly the inReach system will Tex from an area with no cell service and my wife would receive the Tex on her phone as long as she had cell service? So if she is in camp and doesn't have cell service. She would need an inReach unit also to receive Tex? And would we be paying for 2 service plans, 1 for mine and 1 for hers? Thank you

That's the way it looks.
Question for other users of the InReach Mini: can pictures taken with the iPhone be attached to the text messages, just like when using the cell phone at home?

So if I understand correctly the inReach system will Tex from an area with no cell service and my wife would receive the Tex on her phone as long as she had cell service? So if she is in camp and doesn't have cell service. She would need an inReach unit also to receive Tex? And would we be paying for 2 service plans, 1 for mine and 1 for hers? Thank you
unlimited texting but as of today no pictures just text

I've used an Explorer for several years now. Super cheap insurance policy. It's a completely redundant backup to my cell and apps I use, which is the reason I prefer the Explorer over the Mini. With a standalone screen, if your cell is broken, lost, or dead, you are still good to go!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts