Garmin 600 GPS

Ronin75

I'm looking for feedback regarding this GPS device which will be my first GPS purchase. Good or bad info about this device would help me in pulling the trigger on this purchase.
Thanks
montana 600

Last edited:
Oregon 600? Montana 600?

both have tons of features most won't use. I have the Montana because of the screen size. works fine.

I have the Montana 600. I chose it for the screen size. I have Onyx maps for Idaho and Wyoming and the city navigator for use on the road. If you aren't a techy, you're gonna need some time and patience to learn how to operate it. Garmin does not send it out with any useful directions. There are some good UTube videos that will help you learn how to use it. I like the touch screen. It is the best unit for my needs. I have no regrets.

I have the 600 as well as several 150 i think there called. the 600 shined in wyoming last year.My hunting pardner(wife) fezip drive to Office Depo and had my instructions printed and made into binder. good luck,Larry

I purchased the Montana 600 along with the Onyx map for calif. last year to help me on an elk hunt for my wife. I am not a techy by any means and I found it to be very easy to use and spot on accurate. I am very satisfied with the product. The map chip is amazing in it's detail and knowledge base. I was very impressed.

Good Luck

I'm looking for feedback regarding this GPS device which will be my first GPS purchase. Good or bad info about this device would help me in pulling the trigger on this purchase.
Thanks
montana 600

Kind of an old Post Ray. Not sure if you have already purchased a GPS yet. I have the Montana 600 and its a fantastic duel purpose GPS. What I mean by that is it will accept the City Nav Card and if you get a vehicle mount you can use it around town. Screen is nice and big and responsive. It has alot of different options and is one of the most customizable GPS units you can buy. Its also great out in the field. But if weight and size are a concern for you then you may want to look at the Oregon series. The Montana is a large GPS with a 4 inch screen. It can be cumbersome especially for those who are weight and size conscious. The Oregon makes for a better hiking/backpacking/hunting GPS unless your good with the size and weight of the Montana.
On another note. If you own an Iphone 5 or 6 the new OS allows you to put your GPS into Airplane mode now and the GPS still works if you purchase and download Gaia app. Its a great feature and you can go 2 days in airplane mode without recharging. Thought about just selling my Garmin now and doing the Iphone for hunting.

For my Montana I purchased the City Nav card and use it around town. I also have the Onxmaps for it to tell me property owners. Thats invaluable. the Montana can also use Birdseye which is pretty nice. This downloads Satellite imagery for a predetermined area before you go hunt. Gives you a great edge to be able to see the different terrain from a Satellite view. You can also setup different profiles in the 600, 600T, and 650(All the same units hardware wise.) This allows you also to switch between different profiles depending on what your doing. if you motorcycle ride, bike, hike, hunt, fish, take a boat, ect. ect.

Hope that helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.