Game cameras for security

Sykes

Hey everyone. I manage a ranch that consists of two separate properties with 6 houses in all, a shop and two barns totalling close to 10,000 acres. Up until a year ago it was only me here but now there is a construction manager here that has 6 guys working for him. Security has always been an issue but seems things may be getting worse. One of the employees lives in one of the ranch houses maybe 100 yards off the highway. I had to meet an appraiser there at 1:30 today and we were done by 2. Between 2pm and 245pm someone broke in and stole a bunch of this guys stuff, pretty dam brave in the middle of the day. Anyways I need to get some good security of some kind up and going so these kinds of things can be monitored and the Jack asses caught and dealt with. With being out in the boonies and no way to do a real deal security system im thinking of using game cameras. Do any of you guys have any experience in this kind of servalence? I'm open for any ideas and suggestions. I'm not worried about any of the crew, they are all good guys. Just the riff raff that seems to be showing up in this small town. Also The access to the properties that have gates are locked after hours.

Thanks in advance

Chris

I have a few trail cameras on my property I use for surveillance. A few along the driveway, and around the buildings.

The ones by the driveway I have positioned so I can get shots of license plates. Best I found is to have them aimed by where people are likely to park. That way when the move in and out of the parked vehicle, their movement triggers the camera on the stationary vehicle.

I have also mounted them right on building with a piece of PVC conduit glided to the bottom of them. A quick coat of matching paint makes them look like a utility meter.

Disguising them like tree mounted bird houses or some decor can help keep them from being noticed too.

Just some ideas. Good luck!

I have tried to use trail camera's as well. My suggestion would be talk to your local prosecuting attorney to see exactly what information you need. I have gotten truck/tag numbers and gotten nowhere because the local prosecutors wanted a face shot as well. If youre wanting to use the law they definitely need to be talked to. If you're planning on taking care of the issue yourself, a truck tag number might be good enough though. :) Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.