Gaia GPS vs OnX

I have used onX for a couple years now and really like it. Upon recommendation from some here, I downloaded the gaia but I just didn't want to pay $40 since I already have a membership with onX. I got an email the other week saying if I filled out some survey from the time that I use the free Gaia, I would get one month free of the premium subscription. I went through all the steps and it hosed me, no month free. Doesn't help answer your question at all, I just felt like complaining.

I've used Gaia and like it, no experience with OnX. My only concern is battery life in a phone running GPS. I'm not sure the utility of any mapping program in non-GPS mode where you really care about the accuracy of boundaries. I often hunt where I care that the boundary is 100 yards away, even in WY/MT. Battery life on phones gets awfully short. I've had much better luck running Garmin GPS with proper map chips and extra batteries in the pocket, and a set of batteries lasts >1 day of hard hunting.

I have used OnX for since it came out. I think it is the bomb. I have horses and hunt with them regularly here in MT. OnX is great! It does all you are describing you want to do. One of the best features is that you can use it without cell service by downloading maps on to your phone. It hardly uses any battery in this mode. Lasted for 4 days on my last elk hunt. I would recommend for sure. Like someone else said you can give them a spin for free. So give them a try and see what you like.

I have used onX for a couple years now and really like it. Upon recommendation from some here, I downloaded the gaia but I just didn't want to pay $40 since I already have a membership with onX. I got an email the other week saying if I filled out some survey from the time that I use the free Gaia, I would get one month free of the premium subscription. I went through all the steps and it hosed me, no month free. Doesn't help answer your question at all, I just felt like complaining.

@Oi.223 Sorry for the trouble you had. Please send me a note at [email protected] and I'll set you up (I'm one of the founders).

On airplane mode my phone lasts days.

There has been a comment or two questioning phone battery life when using a GPS app. nwmnbowhunter has it right. Turn your phone to airplane mode when in the field using your GPS app. Doing so turns off the cellular receiver, but the GPS receiver remains active so works normally with your downloaded maps. It's the cellular and constantly searching for cellular signal that saps your battery quickly. In airplane mode, I have used my phone-based GPS for several days on a single charge. I bring a battery charger with me to charge my phone at night, but more times than not I never need it.

What happens to your phone when your sorry butt gets dunked in a stream and you're suddenly not sure how to get home? Or you sit on it? Paper maps still work even when wet... do NOT ask me how I know that! Stuff happens (sometimes really weird stuff!), as we all know. I'm still going to keep a paper topo map stashed where I can dig it out if needed.
Cheers,
crkckr

last fall I ran gaia while my brother ran onx. Here were the big differences:

1. Gaia had better resolution on the topo maps, with 40 ft contour lines vice 200 ft contour lines on Onx
2. Onx was easier to drop a pin somewhere other than exactly where you were standing.
3. Gaia did a more detailed job tracking our hikes, speed, elevation, etc.
4. Onx does a better job telling you who owns a neighboring piece of land, even though both tell you where the boundary is.

Hopefully that's useful for you. Battery life is a non-issue in airplane mode, I made it 10 days with 1 recharge off a battery backup.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.