GA Precision 6.5 Creedmoor OAL question for 140 Hybrids

TackDriv3r

GA Precision Crusader 6.5 Creedmoor finally arrived. Ready to work up loads for a ladder test, just noticed the OAL is so long and base to ogive measurements with the 140 Hybrids, 142 Sierra MK and 143 ELD-X measurements are as follows,,, 2.271" for the Hybrid, 2.305" for the 142 SMK, and 2.271" for the ELD-X. I would like to try the 140 Hybrids for now, and I have a few questions about the OAL. Are you guys running the OAL that long? I see that the taper of the bullet is 80 % inside the neck and not sure how much I should seat off the lands. I do prefer that the whole shank of the bullet is seated inside 100% of the neck or more. Does it like a long jump? Going to use H4350. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

42 gr H4350
Seat 20, 25, 30 & 35 off the lands
One or more groups should be 1/4 moa
210m primers work best for me
I have a 7.5 twist Kreiger
With an 8 twist you can go hotter
This load shoots 2800 fps, 24" barrel

Mark- I'd start at the lands and work up w/H4350 while fire forming your barss to see where your max is, and back away. After which the FF brass will take .02 more grains IMO, but you'll know your max with that bullet. The Hybrid doesn't have a long bearing surface, but I haven't used them much since they were too long in my 260 Rem so I never used them in that gun. They however will work well in the Creedmoor, just back away in .005" measurements and see what works. Once you're close go out further shooting them i.e. with your ladder test and see what happens.

After the first 100 or so rounds are down the barrel you'll pick up even more in velocity and you'll have a better Idea of what the gun is really doing. Good Luck, and Oh, BTW, GAP tends to cut their chambers long like that FWTW, but I'd assume you're still fine w/mag box length.

I Know H4350 is the go to powder for the 6.5 Creed. but i'm hearing alot of good things with RL26 also.for speed and accuracy. I am also one that likes to start at the Lands and work backwards in .005 steps to me theres only one way to go and it takes some of the guess work out of it. Good Luck

Mark- I'd start at the lands and work up w/H4350 while fire forming your barss to see where your max is, and back away. After which the FF brass will take .02 more grains IMO, but you'll know your max with that bullet. The Hybrid doesn't have a long bearing surface, but I haven't used them much since they were too long in my 260 Rem so I never used them in that gun. They however will work well in the Creedmoor, just back away in .005" measurements and see what works. Once you're close go out further shooting them i.e. with your ladder test and see what happens.

After the first 100 or so rounds are down the barrel you'll pick up even more in velocity and you'll have a better Idea of what the gun is really doing. Good Luck, and Oh, BTW, GAP tends to cut their chambers long like that FWTW, but I'd assume you're still fine w/mag box length.
I loaded up some rounds for the ladder test, but backed off .030" from lands, reason is to fit the magazine, and see where I go from there. I'll keep ya'll posted on results. Thanks

I Know H4350 is the go to powder for the 6.5 Creed. but i'm hearing alot of good things with RL26 also.for speed and accuracy. I am also one that likes to start at the Lands and work backwards in .005 steps to me theres only one way to go and it takes some of the guess work out of it. Good Luck
Yep, I hear people have good results with RL-26. I always done it .005" from the lands and work backwards, if they all fit in the magazine at .005". As longrangehunter says, GA tends to chamber them with lots of freebore, let me see where this takes me. Not bashing GA or anything like that, they make great rifles and I have others from GA, just the first rifle with a longer freebore than I expected.

Well sometimes you have to work with what you got. I know the saami reamer has .199 freebore. which you cant get close with a factory Rem. mag box length. G.A does make a fine rifle. I'm sure G.A. has shot these rifles may be worth a call to see if they recommend a O.A.L.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.