G7 to G1 conversion

I am not understanding why this is important. Is it because the turret maker is demanding a G1 number to cut the turret and do not give an option for G7? Generally turret makers just care about the drop data. You give them your dope and they cut the turret to the distance and dial. Nothing else should matter.
Ya, they are asking for a trued g1 bc. Yes, I agree about turrets but it's not my rifle and can't argue with his history of success/happiness with this combination. I'll put a close g1 into a calculator and shoot 600 and adjust for difference. Was just wondering if there was something to get me close to g1 to start and has been some very good suggestions. Thank you all. Should save me some time. Will be a bit, haven't done velocity test yet

Is there a simple way to convert g7 to g1? I'm helping a friend do load work up on a hammer bullet and he wants to have a turret made for his huskemah ( not sure I spelled that right) . It's only for distance out to 600 so I'm hoping the box g7 will be close and I'll double check drop but they want trued g1 bc for turret info
I use this jbm feature: http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmgf-5.1.cgi

No worries. It really comes down to time/components savings and any and all suggestions are definitely welcome. I have no doubt he will be shooting a deer with this setup but I think he's going to switch to a 30-378 for elk that I'm setting up for him as well. Would have actually been interested to see how it worked on elk but he only gets to shoot 1 a year and the 30-378 is new and extremely accurate so far. Waiting on a scope repair to finish it

I shoot the Hornady 180gr ELDM's/ 7mag for long-range deer hunting. Hornady uses the Doppler Radar to get their BC's. They print both bc's numbers on the bottom of the box. The greatest variation will be in your MV's. Shoot a tall target test at 500-600 yds and get the real MV of your rifle. This is more accurate than the Lab Radar. Depends on if you reload or shoot manufactured ammo. The best manufactured ammo I've seen is American Precision. Good luck!

Is there a simple way to convert g7 to g1? I'm helping a friend do load work up on a hammer bullet and he wants to have a turret made for his huskemah ( not sure I spelled that right) . It's only for distance out to 600 so I'm hoping the box g7 will be close and I'll double check drop but they want trued g1 bc for turret info
Just go to Hornady Ballistic calculator put in the data choose G1 and see the results.

You can also get the bullets G1 BC from the manufactures web site

There was a thread about a ear ago discussing that certain bullets will change BC downrange, eg., the Hornady ELD-X bullets which reduced the BC as the bullet went downrange.

All bullet BCs change downrange. The BC will vary somewhat with the same bullet in different rifles.

For instance, with Lapua Center-X, AB's G1 BC is listed as .121 and G7 is .062. I tested that this weekend in my rifle with an Oehler 89 (at 158 yards) and the G1 was .1356 and G7 was .0617.

Last edited:
Huskema (in the instuctions in the box with the scope) says to shoot your tuned load through a chronogragh record average speed( remember to include elevation and temperature as well as humidity). Then record adjustment to scope at beginining yardage out to desired maximum yardage then send info to huskema and they will build the turret for him based on his information that he has (doped info).

So interesting,called hammer, they said for rough g1, take the g7 and double it. Also unexpectedly, the heavy hammer is also lower than normal pressure, so nosler info for start data.