G7 BR2 Rangefinder Just Got Better - New & Improved Model!

Owning, and extensively using three RF's with the BD's of 1.4x2.4(Terrapin), 1.5x2.5(Leica), and 2x4(G7) I think making a decision on this spec alone does not necessarily result in the best solution, depending on your shooting/hunting need. It would be like choosing a scope solely on its magnification power. While I think they are all excellent rangefinders, with the similar BD of the Terrapin and Leica, the Leica does not match the Terrapin in performance, and I found that with the larger BD of the G7, I can still get a solid range as fast as the others when ranging between 500 and 1200 yards, my long range hunting window. And this doesn't take into account the effectiveness of the on board density, angle, and ballistics capability. Beam strength, sensor design, electronics, software,ect, contribute significantly to the overall performance of any RF. I think the larger beam of the G7 aids in fast ranging off hand, and the Near/Far capability can easily discern an interference if suspected, more then compensating for the larger beam size. IMHO, the designers of the G7 knew exactly what they were doing.

I agree on most greyfox , i own a lieca and g7 and there is certian applications where the lieca will do better than the g7. I like everything about the g7 but i think a smaller beam is a upgrade. There calling there new model "new&improved" and it has a 25% smaller beam, so they also must of thought it wasnt perfect! jmo

Owning, and extensively using three RF's with the BD's of 1.4x2.4(Terrapin), 1.5x2.5(Leica), and 2x4(G7) I think making a decision on this spec alone does not necessarily result in the best solution, depending on your shooting/hunting need. It would be like choosing a scope solely on its magnification power. While I think they are all excellent rangefinders, with the similar BD of the Terrapin and Leica, the Leica does not match the Terrapin in performance, and I found that with the larger BD of the G7, I can still get a solid range as fast as the others when ranging between 500 and 1200 yards, my long range hunting window. And this doesn't take into account the effectiveness of the on board density, angle, and ballistics capability. Beam strength, sensor design, electronics, software,ect, contribute significantly to the overall performance of any RF. I think the larger beam of the G7 aids in fast ranging off hand, and the Near/Far capability can easily discern an interference if suspected, more then compensating for the larger beam size. IMHO, the designers of the G7 knew exactly what they were doing.

++1

FYI from the owner's manuals:

Vectronics Terrapin beam divergence is 0.4 x 2.4mil
Vectronics PLRF 10 beam divergence is 0.3 x 1.5 mil

The new G7 BR2 beam divergence is 1.5 x 3 mil

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.