G7 BR2 Rangefinder Feedback

MontanaRifleman

Hey ya'll, been a while since I checked in... I read Shawn's review and the 18 pages of comments and sounds like we have a good product here... super happy they came out with the MOA read out!

So you guys that have got them and used them, how have they been? Pluses and minuses?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Last edited:

Thanks Jeff, very good write up. So if I read you correctly, your 2 biggest issues were ranging targets, especially low reflective targets, in flat and low rolling situations and ranging through simulated rain? Looking at the antelope target. seems to me you had a fairly clear view of it? Where you able to raise the point of aim a little and range it correctly?

All pro's......no con's. Love mine.

Did you have any problems with flat, low rolling terrain like Jeff mentioned in his write up?

Thanks guys, any other feedback is appreciated.

Mark

I appreciate the feedback fellas although some more details would be nice, like did any of you experience the flat grond/ low rolling terrain issues Broz did in his testing.

I hunt the same kind of terrain that Broz does and a large percentage is in the flatter category when going after antelope or deer.

Still on the fence. Sounds like a great product but $1600 is a lot of change to put down on something that will be reliable in about 50% of my hunting situations.

Thanks again,

Mark

I have used mine extensively this season and found it to work superbly. I ranged several antelope and deer well past 1000 yards. The key to getting an accurate range in terrain that has rolling hills, and sage brush interferences is to understand and utilize the near/far ranging capability. This is one of the key features that really distinguishes the G7 from all other range finders I have used, and makes it well worth the price.

I have used mine extensively this season and found it to work superbly. I ranged several antelope and deer well past 1000 yards. The key to getting an accurate range in terrain that has rolling hills, and sage brush interferences is to understand and utilize the near/far ranging capability. This is one of the key features that really distinguishes the G7 from all other range finders I have used, and makes it well worth the price.

Greyfox, That is great, I missed your story on these kills. So your shooting solution was on for these shots for cold bore hits?

Thanks and congrats.

Jeff

Greyfox, That is great, I missed your story on these kills. So your shooting solution was on for these shots for cold bore hits?

Thanks and congrats.

Jeff

Jeff,
Yes, the calculator worked exactly as described. My maximum hunting range for game animals with my 6.5-284 is 1000 yards. I must admit that I was skeptical about relying one a single device to range, take a temperature, pressure, angle, and give a precise solution. This is particularly important for me since the atmospheric conditions I will hunt through the season will vary greatly, so I have to rely heavily on a well tested system consisting of the traditional measurement and calculating devices. The thought of missing a good animal after sitting for several full days in a stand at 5 below would be tough to swallow if it was caused by a faulty solution. Now having taken several head of game as well as numerous test shots out to 1300 yards, all cold bore, I have developed a high level of confidence in the G7's ability to give an accurate shooting solution.

Art

Art, Thanks ! So if I may ask, how many big game animals have you taken with the G7 cold bore at close to 1000 yards and beyond?

Again Thanks! I appreciate real world field results.

Jeff

Ive used it for 1 coyote at 585, one bull at 757 and another bull at around 540 has worked great. I know thats not alot of info but it will read farther than my leica 1600 and its nice not carrying a pda, rangefinder and weather station

Art, Thanks ! So if I may ask, how many big game animals have you taken with the G7 cold bore at close to 1000 yards and beyond?

Again Thanks! I appreciate real world field results.

Jeff

No big game past 1000. Four white tail between 650 and 1000, cold bore. All my shots are cold bore. Dont think i have ever gotten a second chance with my long range hunting. Not big game, but did use the G7 to range and kill a coyote in the sage, cold bore, at 1048 yards. This shot was the most meaningful demonstration of the G7's capability. I should mention that I did thoroughly test the G7 on a wide range of targets and rocks, using my 6.5-284, before I shot at any animal. I was quite confident before I shot at any animal.
Art

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.