G7 br2? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Tyler25246, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Tyler25246

Tyler25246 Member

Hey everyone, I’m a new poster here.

I was just wondering what everyone’s opinions are on the g7 br2. Is there other options that are better?

I currently use a cheap kestrel for weather data and input that into my phone along with speed from a magnetospeed and use a ballistic app to get drop data and do trajectory calibrations at the range. It works, seems a little slow especially for a hunting scenario(take a range, pull out my phone input data and then dial) I’m interested for hunting primarily but just long range steel also.
    I also was thinking about just making dope cards but I like to be as close as possible not 50-25 yard increments.

Thanks.

2. Doublezranch

Doublezranch Well-Known Member

I love mine. It’s been a very valuable asset in the backpack to eliminate lots of guessing. I think you will really like it.

Greyfox and J E Custom like this.
  3. eklarsen

eklarsen Well-Known Member

Essential piece of gear in my opinion, dont know what I would do without it

4. Tyler25246

Tyler25246 Member

Thanks for the input. Can’t afford it just yet but have a buddy that has one he loves it just seeing what all your guys opinion on it are.

5. xsn10s

xsn10s Well-Known Member

6. Tyler25246

Tyler25246 Member

xsn10s likes this.
  7. SnowbirdUT

SnowbirdUT Member

8. Tyler25246

Tyler25246 Member

New to this whole forum thing what’s that mean SnowbirdUT?

9. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

For a hunting situation, I use a Leica 1600B and use tape on my elevation turret with the yardage dope. I just range, adjust and make the shot...very quick and efficient. It has not let me down yet.

10. Tyler25246

Tyler25246 Member

That’s kinda what I currently do if I use my dope sheets with out my phone. I just have to make so many because of varying conditions, was wondering if the g7 was the go to to help eliminate that.

11. SnowbirdUT

SnowbirdUT Member

The Sig 2400 is better and easier to use than the G7. The Sig is marginally better as a range finder. What makes the Sig hands down better than the G7 is that the Sig is an “all in one package” that includes an ananomeger and Applied Ballistics software. You simply input your velocity, scope hight and select your bullet from the library (the BC is supplied from Applied Ballistics) and you are good to go. Just point the Sig 2400 at your target, press the button and you have the ballistic solution to dial into your scope.

I shot an antelope doe at 780 meters and a cow elk at 650 meters this season. One shot each animal. The cow was uphill at a 20 deg angle.

I don’t see a need to upgrade to anything more advanced than a Sig if your shots are inside 1300 meters. There are nicer units but I don’t see the value if you aren’t shooting longer distances.

I appreciate the fact that you are on a budget. However, you are probably better off getting by with what you have and saving until you can buy a Sig 2400. Besides, like all technologies, the Sig will get cheaper. G7 (or some other company) will likely come out with something better for less money and we will all be better off.

Technology is your friend!

12. Tyler25246

Tyler25246 Member

Thanks for the input!
    I’ll have to take a look. Usually budget isn’t much of an issue when it comes to my gear. I live by buy once cry once. I’ve just bought a couple big dollar items lately I need to recoupe fund

13. ramrod79

ramrod79 Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with the being better. I have both and find the G7 to be a better unit. The G7 is no different you I put your info point and shoot I just find it easier to put my inputs right into the range finder itself rather than use an app.
    When the sig came out I thought oh there is something better than my G7 but after picking one up I still think G7 is a better unit and I don’t use the sig it sits in safe. This year 849 on trophy

LONG RANGE 7MAG and Greyfox like this.
  14. ramrod79

ramrod79 Well-Known Member

Antelope ranged rested and down he went. Just my prefrence Though. Sig will be on chopping block now