g7 bc vs g1 bc

mjls4me

can any one give some info on this whats better g7 or g1 im shooting a 300 ultra with 168 gr barnes tsx rifle averages about onehalf inch groups i think the .404 bc for this bullet is incorrect because my rifle shoots flatter thany any of the calculators im using say

also im using a 26 inch bull barrel pillar bedded and acraglassed into a fajen thumbhole stock i have nightforce mounts and a nightforce nxs 5.5x22x50 with npr1 recticle works great and shoots even better some groups come out as ragged hole in 3/8" range im just looking for a little advice getting this down to a science has any one used the nightforce ballistics program if so what do you think about it

Better advice can be given if you tell us how far you plan to shoot. The G1 is good to 1000 yards and the G7 will be a better choice if you plan to go farther. But after 1200 to 1400 yards I have to use muliple stepped BC's with low velocity limits to get any program perfect to my rifles.

The NF exbal program is a great program and easy to run. I used it for years and still do on occation, but have since changed to "shooter" on a droid phone for most on my needs.

No program is a given. You will need to shoot and find actual drops at many distances and then make sure the program matches. That is if you want full confidence in your rifle and program to hunt with, and want feel good about first round hits.

Jeff

can any one give some info on this whats better g7 or g1 im shooting a 300 ultra with 168 gr barnes tsx rifle averages about onehalf inch groups i think the .404 bc for this bullet is incorrect because my rifle shoots flatter thany any of the calculators im using say

My experience with my 6.5x284 shooting 140VLD's has been that my actual POI between 600 and 1000 yards just about matches my ballistics program using G7 compared to impact points that are high using G1. This has been the case with two different rifles in this caliber. If I use G1, I have to make a correction to BC, velocity, or both to match up. This makes sense to me since i understand the G7 formula was developed for use with the VLD design. In your case, I'm not sure this is relevant since the bullet your using is not a VLD design. The G1 program should work. It's possible though the BC or velocity in your set up is off. When all is said and done though, I always use my actual impact info to develop my drop chart.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.