G-7 LRBC-Handheld-Calculator

woolecox

Anyone have any experience with this handheld and the G7 program? I already have nice binoculars and a nice range finder (Swarovski's). And I use an excellent, though cumbersome, ballistics program (Loadbase). Does not make economic sense for me to pony up $1600 for a new range finder/ballistic computer, i.e. the G7 BR2, at this point. I've been doing pretty darn good just using drop charts, reticles, and BDC's so far.

But for $400ish, I might be tempted to add this to my bag. The videos where pretty impressive to me. Check it out at:
gseven - LRBCf Handheld Calculator

I wonder if it comes with software for the desk top and a decent interface? I did several searches on this forum but came up with zip.

Any real world users out there?

Woolly

Woody

I have the G7 rangefinder so have no need for the G7 software but did use it for a while last year. I like it a lot. You would be happy with it.

But -- consider selling your S rangefinder and using that $ plus the 400 the PDA, etc costs and buy the G7 rangefinder.

Not to highjack a thread, but I like the concept of the G7 rangefinder. Would like to here from those that are using it. Cheaper than the new S rangefinder bino's at almost $3000
Missed an elk 3 years ago because of steep angle shot.

Get a 199$ 8g iPOD touch and down load the ballistics app from apple problome solved.
I have the FTE program with the "HUD" feature on my iPhone. It works pretty slick but, you still need to range, you still need angle, and you still need atmospherics if you are going to shoot way out there.

I have a Swarovski range finder and an ACI on my rifle which takes care of two of the variables. The others, I just "wing it".

I also have 4 different ballistics programs and when inputing the exact same data into all 4, I get different firing solutions. Some of the differences are as much as 2 MOA at 1000 yards. That's a 20" miss! They can't all be right but they all can be wrong. Only field testing will tell. Gong to do some of that next week.

And yes, I see a G7 BR2 in my future!

I have the FTE program with the "HUD" feature on my iPhone. It works pretty slick but, you still need to range, you still need angle, and you still need atmospherics if you are going to shoot way out there.

I have a Swarovski range finder and an ACI on my rifle which takes care of two of the variables. The others, I just "wing it".

I also have 4 different ballistics programs and when inputing the exact same data into all 4, I get different firing solutions. Some of the differences are as much as 2 MOA at 1000 yards. That's a 20" miss! They can't all be right but they all can be wrong. Only field testing will tell. Gong to do some of that next week.

And yes, I see a G7 BR2 in my future!

Do you really need all that stuff by the time your done figuring it all out your target is gone you can send it and your dope has changed. PLUS I CANT AFFORD ALL THAT!

Do you really need all that stuff by the time your done figuring it all out your target is gone you can send it and your dope has changed. PLUS I CANT AFFORD ALL THAT!
We can all relate to the "can't afford" problem. But no, I have never had a rock, silhouette, or paper target run off yet. I also have never taken or needed to take a game animal over 300 yards. And for that, no, non of this stuff was used.

But if you want to get first rounds on target at ranges of 600 yards or more, then somehow you are going to have to account for the variables and have them at least on some kind of table generated by a ballistic program.

In recent years, my buds and I have began hunting in places where you can take some really long shots if you like. We will shoot at a hog or a coyote if we can see them. If we can get closer, stalking, calling, baiting, whatever, we do. But if not, we will still airmail some lead.

And, when we are sitting out on a stand or mountain side, we always like to range different trees, rocks, land marks, etc. That way if something steps out or moves through, the solution is done. I do this even when bow hunting.

Getting all the data in your program is invaluable when you are working up loads and confirming drop tables at the range. It would not be needed if we always shot at the same distance, with the same load, and the same incline, at the same altitude, temp, etc. You get the picture. I have also never needed or wanted it for shots under 300.

Cheers,
Woolly
IMG_0511.jpg

Don't take this wrong but the most economical solution is to just learn to use what you have, adding another program won't change anything but give you another one that does not jive with the others.

I don't have the extensive experience with multiple ballistics programs. I purchased one. And use only that one. I've read a lot about some of the others. I've tried some of the online and downloadable versions.

I know mine is accurate when I input the correct data. I've demonstrated that in the field. Now that I'm competent using that software, I really have no desire to swap to another, only to have to learn and then prove another program before having confidence in it. At least not until some others go through that process and tell me I'm missing the greatest thing since sliced bread. I expect to read about those experiences on this Forum when, and if, that starts occurring.

The G7 BR2 is a relatively new offering. It might take some period of time for the field reports to show up. Especially since it's twice as expensive than the Swaro and the Leica LRFs. And then there's the learning curve prior to proficiency with any ballistic software. I could believe it may be 12 months before we get a fair sampling and reporting of end user experiences. But this Thread is a good way to find out, and lure the comments out of any owners/users.

Wooly

I love your signature image but please reduce its size to 160 pixels wide.

Thanks! :)

I know mine is accurate when I input the correct data. I've demonstrated that in the field. Now that I'm competent using that software, I really have no desire to swap to another, only to have to learn and then prove another program before having confidence in it. At least not until some others go through that process and tell me I'm missing the greatest thing since sliced bread. I expect to read about those experiences on this Forum when, and if, that starts occurring.

I concur!!!

And you, just like me, being LoadBase 3.0 users, It'll be a long time before we get to be "missing the greatest thing since sliced bread."

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts