future rifle build caliber?

killerspoons

was looking at my gun the other day and was wondering what i would like to build it into when i burn out my 7mmrem mag factory barrel. the rifle is a winchester model 70 la. it wears a choate ultimate sniper stock. i am going to replace the stock with a aluminum stock (my own design hopefully!) was thinking about making it into a 338edge, 338 rum, or a another 7mm of sorts.
Thanks for your feedback.

forgot to mention what it will be used for! mostly target shooting out to a mile or more if I get good enough and deer and elk hunting as far as i can get without scaring them (less than 800 yards)

If your going to just be doing target and 800yd or less hunting, you should seriously consider something in the 6.5 to 7mm. LA are great for short action calibers that handle longer high BC bullets well. 6.5x284, 260, 7mmSAUM, 7WSM, or 284Win. If you want to go with a long case, then consider the 280AI or a 30-06/AI.

Tank

It sounds like mostly target, and some hunting. That can get expensive, thus, the big 338 stuff will cost more. I've used a 270 to 800 yards, so, I think you would be well served by sticking with another 7 Rem Mag. I LOVE MINE. Cheaper to shoot, you know the cartridge, easy to load, and cheaper than the bigger calibers. The biggest of elk will fall to a 7mm bullet placed properly.

What barrel are you looking into, as in brand? Who do you want to do the work?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.