Future H.A.T B.C. Test shoot

Jeff,

We are not in disagreement on the likelyhood of establishing accurate BC values, within a diverse gathering of participants, absent the LOMAH system.

I was speaking only of our long planned work on the ZA338/6.0, 6.5, and 7.0 & the ZA375/6.0, 6.5, and 7.0... with, and without, the tungsten cores. Without accurate target velocities, the group-event would indeed be nothing more than a desert "fun shoot".

Noel

Thanks for clarifying, you are right we are going to do what we can as far as getting the information on all of those ZA variants.

MontanaRifleman.

You have a good point. If the shield can be made an appropriate size - to protect the critical parts of a chronograph - then its a just a question of finding an appropriate load and making it work. I'll see what I can do as far as potentially coming up with something workable. But as far as true long-range chrony work, I suspect that needs to wait until the other system is available for our use.

I just read my response and had to laugh...this has to be one of the few sites in this country where talking about shooting at a target at a 1,000 yards or thereabouts is not really considered "long" range.

JeffVN

I do not whant to waist any ones time but you all should really consider having this thing filmed for posterity. you have to have a visual record of this, it would take like five hd cameras to get it all but any number of the outdoor productions would be happy to record this event. it is too much to let this op slip by. this is history.

Having it all recorded as you described wouldn't that be pretty pricey? Just curious as I have no idea.

Well folks I happen to have quite a bit of the history you speak of already recorded. The problem is it is locked solidly in my memory and there was no one else present . I doubt there is any way to download what is in my brain to any sort of visual or audible device so I reakon its same as gone other than several pages of notes and data. There are a few historical documents in the form of several Thousand dollars worth of reciepts from places such as Lawton Machine, Jamison, Mcmillian, Manners, Sinclair, CH4D, Midway Etc. There is also one from someplace in Germany that brings me very close to cardiac arrest each time it comes to mind. Sooo, I said all that to say this, yall dont get your panties in a wad because you think things aint happing fast enough. I know this is a culture that has come to expect instant gratification. Just chill, good things come to those who wait.

MontanaRifleman.

You have a good point. If the shield can be made an appropriate size - to protect the critical parts of a chronograph - then its a just a question of finding an appropriate load and making it work. I'll see what I can do as far as potentially coming up with something workable. But as far as true long-range chrony work, I suspect that needs to wait until the other system is available for our use.

I just read my response and had to laugh...this has to be one of the few sites in this country where talking about shooting at a target at a 1,000 yards or thereabouts is not really considered "long" range.

JeffVN

Here's what I use to shoot over chronys at 1000 yds. Your's might need to have a sturdier base to remain properly positioned after sustaining bullet impacts... since you'll be hammering the AR plate with heavier bullets. I hit my 1/2" AR500 plate once with a 7mm 162 A-max at 985yds. The plate remained in position and continued to protect the skysreens on the following shots. The A-max never left any detectable deformation to the AR500. Simply washed away some white spray paint.
AR500PlateProtectedSkyscreens.jpg

Here's the height adjustable steel square channel stand which allows me to position the AR500 plate at the proper height to cover the skysreens. You'll want to minimize any stand/leg material because any bullet impact to anything other than the AR plate in front of any chronograph setup could fragment or richochet and take out your skyscreens, cables, or chronys. You can't very well set the sunshade covers over the skyscreens without risking bullet damage, so hope for an overcast day, or else plan on purchasing some replacement sunshades.
IMG_0310.jpg

My square channel stand detaches (slide in/out fit) from both the AR500 plate and the section of railroad track/supportive base - for ease of tranportation. I suspect you'll need a sturdier base to keep the AR plate properly positioned if you whack it with a 300+ grain bullet from some of those 338 & 375 super mags.
IMG_0311.jpg

My AR500 plate is 12" in diameter, because I had to ship it up to Alaska and it's the largest size that would fit within a USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate box. If I lived in the 48 States I'd purchase a 14-15" diameter plate, and would recommend a larger one to others. I get by with mine, but bigger would provide better protection to the skyscreens, skyscreen mounting rail, and tripod. I also place a hefty piece of firewood in front of the chrono units themselves to protect against any richochets. And I don't let anyone else shoot over my chronographs at 1000yds, not matter how good a shot they claim to be... :) So my best advice is... set up someone elses chronographs for the shoot... :D

Last edited:
You could put out the invite to Shooting USA from the outdoor channel. they cover this sort of thing on the Impossible shots as well as Sighting in with Shooting USA and shooting USA. If it was me I would just email them followed by a phone call and talk to their media department.. I would also call the Outdoor channel directly and get their media relations person on the horn. Or find another outlet like Guns and Ammo and see if they are interested in covering the shoot. they most likely will. in-fact you may have more media than you want if you call the right people. as for cost just getting someone like Lone wolf productions to cover this would be nagotiated for no out of pocket expence, or at least that is how i would do it.

Chase1

I have Craig Boddington from G&A asking questions could I get someone from this event to allow me to pass their information on to him so that he can make contact with anyone that is in the know on this.

I think that he may be able to get coverage if you all want. That is unless someone is worried about too much exposure!

also I have not seen Fiftydriver on this what is he doing.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.