Future H.A.T B.C. Test shoot

Topshot,

Yes, there is going to be independent/public testing of the HAT 265 grain 338, and the results will be posted here.

Chas 1,

I have come to believe that the "yadda, yadda, ya..." phenomena is the HAT sales strategy. This bullet is in the public domain, and therefore available for public evaluation. RG may change his mind, and participate at any point. It would be nice to see him there, but his absence will not change the results.

If you examine RG's criteria, he is proposing absolute control of the range, test protocol, and dissemination of information (all under the oversight of "lightvarmit"). I do not have the time for the nonsense.

Bryan Litz has done his best to objectively analyze these pills, and was smeared in the process. Being a competitor, even an honest one, makes his position difficult. I will leave it to the judgement of LRH members if the Las Vegas meet was fair, and objective.

There is much more going on than a HAT evaluation, and I will simply not be party to the perpetuation of a "who's on first" comedy routine which surfaces every time RG, or LV, starts a thread.

Mr. Henson, again, the door is open to you.

Well done Noel. Will you be shooting any of the other HAT bullets, such as the .308's and .284's, etc.?

On drop testing, do you have a way to accurately calibrate or measure a scope's rate of travel?

It will be great if you can get some LRH members to participate. Eddybo has expressed an interest in the popcorn thread.

Noel,
I have not read all through the posts to see exactly what is going on but I have a gun that meets your criteria, I am slightly proficient with it and already have a few rounds loaded with the HATS. I just blocked a few days surrounding May 1 out on my calender. Can I come shoot?

eddybo,

I think Jeff would have no problem in seeing you there as a participant. He is anal about saftey, and organization, so you will need to go through him.

He should make an appearance on this thread presently.

Best,
Noel

Great sounds good to me. I have done a bit of NBRSA and NRA f-class comps so I understand the importance of safety.

May 1 is the anticipated date for the shooting correct? If it is something different I would like to know as soon as possible so I can clear my calender.

I am really looking forward to it. Who is going to be there? I have met at least 30 or so members of this forum and am always looking to meet more. Greatest guys in the world hang out here.

MR,

We will be working with all of those calibers.

If someone would like to test the HAT's, it would be a welcome addition to the knowledge base.

Best,
Noel

P.S.; Relating to gauging the accuracy of any specific scope's rate of travel, I am not particularly concerned. There is enough system redundancy to spot an abberant scope, and the instrumentation will aid all participants in knowing the reliability of their adjustments.

Last edited:
Noel what other calibers would you like tested? I have other rifles, but lean toward 7mms. I built a 7mm/338 lapua to shoot the heavy bullets. If someone has some 7mm's they would like tested just let me know in time to do some load work.

eddybo,

I have some definite opinions on what I would like to see, and learn. Let's let Jeff sort this out... it is his baby.

Best,
Noel

OKAY...but who is Jeff? I do not spend as much time reading here as I used to, and only cruise through to see what some of the long time posters are up to. So I am not sure who Jeff is.

Jeff VanNeil is a member here, but I do not know how often he posts, or even if he uses his real name. At Sniper's Hide he goes by "JeffVN".

He lives in Las Vegas, and will be utilizing his club's range for establishing drops, and BLM land for the instrumented ELR work.

- Noel

Ohh, Okay I have seen Jeff around and read some of his posts.

I want to make sure that it is okay for a couple of my shooting buddies ride along. Don Geraci, no worries as to safety. He is a BR hall of famer and knows some stuff.
My buddy Glowworm from snipershide, his handle here is Randy338 or maybe it is marriedman wants to come too. He offered to bring his 375CT and maybe test some rocky mountain bullets, or any 375s that someone wants tested.

Is it okay that I bring them? not a deal breaker but that is a long trip for me and I would enjoy the company. We might have an opportunity to stop through NM and shoot some stuff is another reason I want them to tag along. Of course any of us would be willing to sign releases, but no confidentiality agreements. Between the 3 of us we have some rifles in just about anything you want tested. Just let me know.

Eddybo, as I recall, you are shooting a 338AM. I expect you would get some very high velocities with the 265 HATs out of that rilfe which would probably have an effect on the BC. If you or one of your buddys has something along the line of an EDGE or Lapua to shoot the 265's, it would probably make an interesting comparison. Just something to think about.

-Mark

Last edited:
Okay, sounds good, if they will allow it. I am just a participant if they will have me. BTW how much are you pledging to the diesel fund?

Hey guys sorry to be so late to the party but every once in a while real life gets in the way of my forum participation.

I've talked to Noel and here is essentially what we are planning to do. I belong to a priavte gun club in Boulder City, NV. I am allowed to bring a reasonable number of guests to the facility at any given time.

Our facilty has 1,000 yard range, with target pits, as well as 900, 800, 60, 300, 200 yard firing points. The chances that we will be permitted to use that range is between Low and None. To shoot on that range you must shut down the remaining portion of the member range. But, we also have 4 100 yard shooting berms for getting zeros and a steel target range with a covered shooting point and either 5 or 6 concrete benches. Pus plenty of area to belly flop for shooting F-Class or belly benchrest if you like.

we have Shilouette steel targets currently set at 200, 300, 400, and 500 meters. As well as a target set up at 864 yards and an impact pit that can accomodate a target at 920 yards. WE have teh ability to supplement each distance with other target types, including standing and pop up aromor plate steel

We propose shooting for zeros and then drops at the steel shilouette range using either the 864 or 920 impact pit points. The next day we will venture to teh desert for the long range portion of our agenda.

I do considerable Long-rang to Extreme Long range shooting in the Nevada desert. I have a location that i use that is on BLM land, but is accessable only by permission of the Moapa Piute Tribe since you must cross their reservation located Nrrth of Las Vegas to get there. I HAVE such permission and so will teh folks that accompany me. My location (I will provide a couple of pictures later) has an elevated shooting point (requires a walk up to the point of approxaimtely 75 - 100 yards) so be ready to carry your gear.

MY shooting point provides unobstructed free access to teh entire vally around the point, but has particularly good target points with good impact visibility at ranges of 1,500, 1,800, 2,200, and 2,500 yards. This point allos for the use of an intermediate spotter (safe position in defelade) that is 1,100 yards closer to these target points than the firing point. There is a different position on teh firing point that has acces to tagets which can located out to and beyond 3,000 meters.

Let me be clear ... this is the desert... there are no facilities...its wonderful to shoot but its not a fancy range with room and bathroom, or even a porta john. The firing point has various shooting positions for approximately 6 shooters looking at teh 1,500 -2,500 yard targets. Looking up teh gravel road, we have something on the order of 4 or possibly 5 points. Its uneven, rocky, and you will do what i do...make do and bitch at the rocks.

I tried to organize an ELR event here last year..so its not new to me or my contacts at the Tribe.
My schedule required us to push this shoot back in time, as real life in not going to permit me to be available in March. I am happy to try to discuss some details and will post some coordinates for you to fly off to gogle earth and look at teh stie. But the timing of this is not totally depenedent upon me, and we are trying to juggle schedule of at least 3 individuals to get a date window.

JeffVN

Last edited:
eddybo, and LRH members,

A firm date is partially contingent on the number of people in attendence, and what is to be accomplished. This requires your imput, and questioning. Feel free to ask whatever you wish, and please be specific.

Jeff is the guy to ask.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.