Furthest shot you would take? with 7mm, 30cal, 338LM

trader388

Considering velocity, BC, wind drift, conditions etc...

Conditions: Open field 3 miles long, wind 5-10mph.

What is the max range you would shoot at a target with each of these bullets at the stated velocities? Basically each of the following bullets will lose accuracy at some distance and each will be affected by the wind more than the other.

7mm 180gr VLD, BC .698, mv3000, wind 5-10mph, good conditions..Your longest shot? =
and if conditions were worse =

30cal 210gr. VLD, BC .640, mv3000fps, wind 5-10mph, good conditions..Your longest shot? =

.338Lapua 300grsmk, BC .768, mv 2900, wind 5-10pmh, good conditions..your longest shot? =

I can't wait for the flac I'll get on this one.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ 10-13-2004: Message edited by: trader388 ]

Trader338,

There are so many more variables to consider other then ballistic and wind condition.

How about shooting angle, animal position, animal state of mind, cover around target, terrain between you and the target, time of day at the shot.

Any and all of these will effect the range at which I would take a shot, to the point that every situation would be starkly different.

Some situations would limit my max range to a couple hundred yards in some cases.

There are just to many other vaiables to give a qualified response to this question.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Trader388

I don't think there'll be a problem with your question as originally asked, the hunting model "mule deer".

The biggest problem as I see it will be the interpretation, "What is he asking and what are MY various limiters?".

The original as I recall was a mule deer vice target and the use of a "spotter round" before the shot.

The method(s) used by folks here vary, I for example do not use a spotter round. I'm a FRH (First Round Hit) guy so the question was originally out of my category/permissible conditions.

I have a self imposed 650 yard limit on big game shots. For varmints I have no yardage limit and this also applies to targets of any type.

The three (3) ballistic examples you offer will far exceed the 650 yard performance requirement(s) for any big game hunting I do so 650 is the limit on them in the hunting mode provided I've made the commitment to shoot based on other considerations, wind, animal (presentation), etc, etc.

For target and varmint shooting I'd probably be using these at distances limited only by optics and available elevation of the sighting system, certainly 1500 yards and more. There is no weather limiter on targets other than my ability to see the target... if conditions are "bad" it's a lessons session in that weather type.

"7wsm set the mile accuracy record with 180 bergers not too long ago." (taken from another thread)

Must be something to be said about the 180 vld.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>"7wsm set the mile accuracy record with 180 bergers not too long ago." (taken from another thread) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That has since broken by a 30cal..

I just want to know the maximum effective range on a target for each. I know that each bullet at some point (the max eff range) will lose accuracy and the wind will be to much for it becuase of BC, mv, wind, and bullet weight and so on.

So if I had to guess I would say the 7mm bullet is good out to 1500 yards the 30cal 1700 yards and the 338 out past 2000yds.

On a Blacktail size deer or antelope the 7mm will work to around 1400 as will the 30 cal.The 338 can go to 2000 yards and no further as i set a 750 pounds of energy limit on animals of this size.
Lynn

Trader388

Okay

This last weekend I shoot in an F-Class rifle match. From the posted scores and the chambering restrictions it could be loosly determined that a 308 Win and shooter can hold a about 1 MOA accuracy at 600 yards but not at 1000 yards where it's closer to 2MOA.

A hot 6.5 chambering and shooter could easily hold a bit less than 1 MOA accuracy at 600 and right at 1 MOA at 1000 yards.

Where I'm headed is that a 308 Win and shooter run out of 1 MOA hunting capacity somewhere between 600 and 1000 yards (probably closer to 600 yards than 1000). The 6.5 wildcats and such stay 1 MOA beyond 1000 yards.

So without a lot of data I can't say how the three (3) bullets and chamberings required for your question would perform. If enough folks with actual group size info answer up you could possibly make a good guess.

I don't think much past 1500 yards for 1 MOA with any of them though, I could be wrong (happens a bit).

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.