Funny story about roping a deer!

What about all the stories told about the hunt areas with so many deer it's like they are tied to a tree waiting for you?

About 1964 my daddy roped a 3 point, tied his legs with a pigging string and rode home with him across the saddle

Some time ago, on the Brownell's site I read a story about a deer roping attempt. Is seems like this large male human attempted to rope a small deer, one of a small group of deers. The deers all ganged up on the human and stomped him with hooves and bit him. The bites were hard & continuous and the deers would not release their bite. The human rolled under his truck to escape the enraged deers.

At one time we had a suburban house outside of Spokane. During a real tough winter there were many deers on our 1 acre. We watched them and usually saw does standing on rear legs striking other does with hooves (acts of aggression vs. defensive). When going down to the mail box or wheeling our trash cart down to the road the deers often stood their ground and made huffing sounds and hair on their backs bristled up. I, a 200 plus human male, would be no match for 7-10 little deers and they would have easily beat the c**p out of me. Seen deers crunch hard corn (chicken feed) with teeth & can imagine a hard continuous bite with bulging jaw muscles & flailing hooves.

Last edited:
Dad had a rig hand one time climb up in a white oak tree a roped a deer while he was sitting on a limb . No one really understood why he didn't have the rope tied off to the tree . Lol he finally let ago about 75- 100 yards down over the hill . He looked like he'd been in a fight with a wildcat for sure . The rope was tangled around his hand and arm . He never tried that stunt again

An old retired neighbors of mine from Idaho told me of the time him and his brother roped a Bull Moose. Late 1950's Ranch was near the Caribou National forest

It was the dead of winter and This bull moose would come down to eat the hay they had for the cattle.
So they saddled up there horse and came around the corner of the barn, threw the loop got 1 horn dallied off turned the horse sideways.
Next thing he knew the horse was yanked over and getting drug for 10 to 15yds then the cinches break and they watch the saddle an all disappear into the willows.
First and last time they ever tried that.
I told him you would have been better off heeling him the horse would have at least stood a chance. LOL
For those that do not know what heeling is. Its the art of laying the loop in front of the 2 back legs and when they step threw you pull tight and dalley off. You lose alot of power when your 2 back legs are pulled together in the air.

Last edited:
1-NEVER dally off anything bigger than calf, asking for disaster.
2-I dallied off a full grown bison, duh, oops. Luckily my horse didn't go down but boy he was darn near jerked off his feet going sideways 25'. Fortunately it was not full dally up under horn and was able to release rope. My buddy saw that and refused to heel him! The farmer returned my rope once they got him back in 6" steel pipe corral. Talk about attitude? They are nothing to mess with!! Good thing my horse was faster by long shot. They would growl, snort, paw ground like cartoon but they meant business and would charge horse every time. But scared to death of 100cc dirt bike😂 that farmer finally got running to chase them back to farm.
3- same farm I was chasing down a doe on a dare to rope and got right on her butt ready to toss rope and she does 90 turn at 35mph. My horse got the look, where the hello did she go? I think she was just having fun with us and decided she had enough and vacated the area.