Funny encounter with deer while elk hunting

Was archery elk hunting on a ranch one time long ago....knew some elk were working the breaks for the water hole on top....came down the mtn to the ranchers old fence line and sat down on a log....waited a few minutes..let out a couple cow elk calls...heard(back when I could hear) movement just down below me in the juniper...called one more time and out pops a calf elk...walked right up to the other side of the fence from me....maybe 5 feet....cute little critter...just looked at me and decided I wasnt mom...walked back to the juniper tree and laid down.....thats what i like about hunting and conservation....if you arent out there...you never see things like that happen.....

Was archery elk hunting on a ranch one time long ago....knew some elk were working the breaks for the water hole on top....came down the mtn to the ranchers old fence line and sat down on a log....waited a few minutes..let out a couple cow elk calls...heard(back when I could hear) movement just down below me in the juniper...called one more time and out pops a calf elk...walked right up to the other side of the fence from me....maybe 5 feet....cute little critter...just looked at me and decided I wasnt mom...walked back to the juniper tree and laid down.....thats what i like about hunting and conservation....if you arent out there...you never see things like that happen.....

A few years ago my sister got a pretty good scare bow hunting for deer when a large bull moose walked out of the bush 15 yards beside her. She had no idea it was there, until it was RIGHT THERE! she had been in the trees for over an hour too. Never ceases to amaze me how things that massive (and with broad antlers) can be so disturbingly silent walking through the trees.

I have had black bears walk right up to me as I have them...both not knowing the other was there.....
Shot a bull elk at 6'....called deer to with in say distance...
Lots of stories.....but only a few really good memories....

20191017_162823.jpg
I ran into this guy a few weeks ago the day before my cow elk started. We were scouting a new area. I put my pack on and headed out. I had worked to a vantage point overlooking a meadow and glassed for a few minutes. I turned to walk away and pulled out my phone to make the spot on my OnX maps, and look up to see a surprise about 30 yards away...

We had just got to the mountain from town and in my haste I didn't grab my normal shoulder holster rig with my 38 super I carry hunting. It wasn't season yet so I didn't have my rifle. The only gun I had on me was my sig 9mm...in my concealed holster...inside my waistband...under my shirt...under my packs belt straps...
I am sure it was one heck of a sight watching me dance and leaning hard to my left digging at my waistband trying hard to dig out my ccw pistol. It was amateur hour on the mountain that afternoon for sure.

If you care to watch 3:05 of two cow elk walk right up to my daughter and I. One was within 3' before she noticed us sitting right in the open. You can see the minute she sees us, and looks back and forth between my daughter and I.

On the same ranch i had the calf come up to me...while hunting...i had an entire herd walking down a draw....and i had to pull my feet back to keep from getting stepped on.....about 60 head...cows and calves...
The herd passed without scenting me as i was laying flat on the ground next to the only boulder....then the rifles starting talking...the bulls had went up the other side of the draw...and just out of my view....go figure......no phone..camera..or video camera....just me and my cold barreled rifle......did get to help pack animals out......i am too nice.......

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.