Fungus in scope NIB!!!

B-LOT Banga

Since I've been sick at home for awhile I finally got around to putting together a rifle for my son. It's a ruger M77 in 300 RCM. He wanted something better than his 30-06 but not as much as his 300 WSM. He also wanted a shorter gun the reason why he chose this rifle with a 22" barrel. Anyways I put on set of 30mm Ruger rings and lapped away for 30 min those steel rings are no joke!! Then I go and open a sealed box and as I inspect the scope I'm floored as the front lens is covered with mold from the INSIDE!!! This scope isn't a cheap, refurbished or used scope. It was bought brand new for $815 shipped from a reputable sporting goods website (I with held their name because it's not their fault) and I'm sending this brand new scope back to see what they will do.

Did any of you folks experienced this before? BTW this scope was put into my gun safe since new and it has a dehumidifier box inside.

Attachments

• 0B26A508-D65E-497F-B756-8F78D3B48BD9.jpeg
    0B26A508-D65E-497F-B756-8F78D3B48BD9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 155
Lot of safes are in high humidity areas.My guess,your scope in transit,high elevation flying to your location obviously broke seal.Which it should not,then the mold was a result.Or was assembled with moisture?

What brand scope is that?
I'd rather not say because I don't want to bash anyone or start a big drama scene. All scopes have their issues and I guess its my hard luck. Believe it or not they already responded with a pre paid shipping slip and it will be picked up at my residence by 8:00 pm tonight by FEDEX. So far so good!! But if they give me a hardtime or won't help me I will reveal the brand. Aloha

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.