Fun, cheap hot rods?

This has got me going as well.
I have read this whole thread thru and I want a new toy now!
I don't have an extra action to play with so I am going to start looking for a factory 22 Creedmoor or 22-250 with a fast twist, medium to varmint barrel contour, and something that will not break the bank.
Mine will be used for the same as the OP, (paper, playing, banging steel) I don't see myself ever in competition.
I like the idea of cheaper bullets, and brass, as well as not having to fire form.
Man this place can make you spend money...lol

Ok, narrowing down to three cartridges.
6 Dasher
6 creedmoor
22 creedmoor

I like the idea of The creedmoors. Decent factory ammo in a pinch, readily available dies from just about every maker good performance etc...
Dasher? The Dasher is just plain a cool round. Super efficient, good 1000 yd performance easy to load for and lots of other reasons. I kinda like the idea of having a ( kind of) wildcat that has a proven track record and nearly the same velocity as the creed, while using a bit less powder.

Last edited:
I built a 22 Creedmore last year on a 1-7. It is amazing- one pass neck down from a 6mm creedmore. The 85gr Nosler RDFs are 3525 fps and the 95gr Sierra MKs are over 3300.

Those bullets and the fast twist make this a nice light recoiling long range contender. I have shot out to 1050 and accuracy was spot on! We could have been sniping ground squirrels or coyotes!!

Big Jake Duke, I was hoping to see more information like that! A freaking .22 at 1000+? What's not to like about that??!!

I bought a fast twist (1-8) Tikka to play with while I am deciding about the 22 Creedmoor.
First load out of the gate was with R15 and a 75 gr EDL bullet ( I was not sure just how much more a 1-8 twist would stabilize).
In all loads the ES, and SD's were really great. The best was pushing the bullet at 3258 FPS with an ES of 7 and a SD of 4! This was producing a solid .5 group. I do feel that with a little playing, I can get this load a little better.
Running the numbers shows that with this load, @1000 I would have 23.0 MOA with a 200 yard zero.
Not as good as the Creedmoor, but not bad for a off the shelf rifle and brass.

Just ran the numbers with a 100 yard sight in and it is 26.9 MOA. This is more apples to apples to your numbers you ran on the Creedmoor.
That Creed has still got my attention, but the 22-250 scratched my itch until I can figure the rest out (what action, barrel contour, etc)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.