Fun, cheap hot rods?

what about 6mm Creedmoor? Fast twist, not too big for varmints, not too small for deer sized game if it came down to it.

The Rem 788 in 22-250, is that in a short-action and can the 6mm Creedmore be used in a short action? I'm also thinking that it is a little tough to get the performance/expense factor put together. What I have found is that both of those elements of shooting do not go too well with each other. If you can get great performance there's a price to pay for it; usually in reloading components. If you want a real hot-rod look at the Sherman line of cartridges. IMHO

Some good options have been thrown your way to think about here. I have converted 2 old .22-250's. Both Remington 700 actions. The 1st was chambered for a 22 BR and I absolutely love shooting it! Great brass from Lapua, powder use is low, getting over 3000 fps with an 80 grain bullet and shoots bug hole groups. I also have a load for 55 grain hollow points for prairie dog towns that shoots tiny little holes as well. Go with a 1:6" twist if you decide on a .22 caliber (this will allow you to stabilize the heavies well). The 2nd rebuild was turned into a 6.5x47 Lapua. Even though I have only had this one about a month now it seems to be a great round! 1st load I tried in the gun is making clover leaf patterns on paper for break-in. I can't wait to see what it will do when I get around to some fine tuning.

Alibiiv, yes the creeds can be ran in a short action and Rich's line of cartridges have piqued my interest for some time now, not to mention I live like 5 miles from him. Great guy to talk to. not exactly what I'm looking for with this rifle right now though. The level of performance I'd be more than satisfied with is exactly what has been shared thus far by folks here. A 22 or 6 creed or a 6 Dasher (any of the improved BR rounds, really.) will suffice.
BJH, the 22br is an awesome lil fella! As are the x47s

I wanna build a fun range toy. Love the 28 nosler for most things walking, but man, it's spendy to send some serious roundage downrange! I have an 'ol Remington 788 in 22-250 that I've always wanted to screw with. 22 creedmoor is intriguing, 22-250 AI— a 6mm something-or-other oh my! Use is LR steel, varmints maybe competition... I don't know....
Requirements:
Relatively inexpensive to operate
Low to no recoil ( will also have MB/ can)
Standard bolt face short action
Will have fast twist for caliber bbl
Quality brass that's available
Readily available high BC Bullets that are available

I'm kinda itchy for something cool but not too cool... ya know?
Sell me on something!

.243win, .260 rem, 6.5cm. If you get to running anything faster it's going to eat up a lot of barrels and that cancels out "cheap to shoot".

Personally I love the .22 Hornet shooting 60gr JHP's. It's an entirely underrated varmint/predator caliber.

You can go faster or bigger but out to 300-400yds it's a great round, cheap to shoot, and not hard on barrels.

you can throw a blanket over all three- the 22-250AI, 22-243AI, and the 22 CM. They are all so close. I had ordered a 22-243AI, until i realized I could get -ALMOST- as much performance, but I wouldnt have to fireform. I have 3 AI rifles, I love them- but fire forming sucks money and time and barrel life.

788's had 3 action lengths if I recall, 44 mag was the short action, 222,22-250,were long action, and 6mm,7mm-08,and 308 were referred to as extra long, don't know if the 22-250 you have will be a good choice to "hot rod" that and the bolts with rear locking lugs made anything more powerful then a 308 a poor option, I'm no expert but I did collect 788's for a while,only one I still have is a 257 Roberts made from a 6mm , cause it was easy, same parent case, good luck in your quest for a "hot rod"

You have an action and stock. Cheap hotrod would be to use a 24" Rem takeoff in 243 rechambered to 6mm-284, totally cleans up existing chamber. Excellent Lapua 6.5-284 brass can be necked down easily. Will shoot 55 gr varmint bullets up to 4200 fps.(great for varmint calling, zeroed at 100 it is only 7" low at 350 yds) It does come with a 1 in 9.25 twist so it is limited to 95 gr bullets. Currently getting 3495 fps with Berger classic hunter.

Due to being a barrel burner the use of a takeoff barrel mitigates the cost. In my case I have a lathe and do that work myself.
I love the 6/284. I have2 fun fun they are 1 in 8 twist so they handle 105. grain very well. Fast and deadly..

6mm creed. You can get a savage 110 desert tactical for a little over $600. Adjustable stock 1-7 twist running 115gr bergers thru mine about 3100fps hits steel hard shoots really good

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.