Full length sizing trouble

Hey guys,
This is my first attempt at full length sizing so don't burn me down too bad here…

Equipment used:
RCBS Rock chucker
Hornady One shot spray lube
Redding FL die (expander removed)
6.5 prc ADG brass

Here's a list of my issues:
First off it seems like the amount of pressure needed to press the brass is varying a lot, some pieces seem to go in without effort, and other take a great deal of force.
Secondly: my sizing is very inconsistent, probably a variance of .005

Thanks for any advice, again, I'm brand new at this so give me a break.
Cheers
There are many options and I understand that everyone has their go to from one shot to STP. The best I've found has been imperial wax and a little goes a long way. It's clean, simple and easy to apply to necks and bodies without getting it on the shoulder. I've haven't tried the other waxes but I'd imagine them to be just as good.

There are many options and I understand that everyone has their go to from one shot to STP. The best I've found has been imperial wax and a little goes a long way. It's clean, simple and easy to apply to necks and bodies without getting it on the shoulder. I've haven't tried the other waxes but I'd imagine them to be just as good.
Yes there are others that are just as good
image.jpg

Note: When you use Hornady One Shot don't run it into your die immediately. Give it 5-10 mins to dry. Also remove your decapping rod and clean the inside of your die and spray the inside of your sizing die with One Shot. Make sure your press ram is "camming over" when it contacts your die. I like to set my die until it touches the shell holder at its highest point then lower the ram and turn in the die in another 1/8 to 1/4 turn.

In my travels, one shot only works decent for me on smaller cases like creedmoore. It is junk on larger cases like o6 and up. Unbelievable the difference when using a quality lube and not one shot
I size 338 Lapua 300 win as well as 3006 with it and I've never had a problem

When I'm using One Shot, I put 30 or 40 pieces of brass in a gallon size ziplock bag then spray in the One Shot, then mix the brass in the bag. Let them sit for a half hour and then start sizing. The ziplock can be used several times without problem.

I'm curious, how does it compare to imperial for the ones who have used both.
in all honesty I don't see a difference. some will hate on unique just because it is Hornady, and others will praise imperial because it is Redding. I started with unique and has always been available when I need it so that is what I use.

When I'm using One Shot, I put 30 or 40 pieces of brass in a gallon size ziplock bag then spray in the One Shot, then mix the brass in the bag. Let them sit for a half hour and then start sizing. The ziplock can be used several times without problem.
Not necessary but to each his own

in all honesty I don't see a difference. some will hate on unique just because it is Hornady, and others will praise imperial because it is Redding. I started with unique and has always been available when I need it so that is what I use.
Good to know. Imperial was the first wax I used and would now have no issues using unique when and if imperial is not available. I primarily load for large cases and wax is night and day for me better than one shot or RCBS lube. Some of the gentlemen here also swear by STP and wouldn't hesitate to try that as well so n a pinch.

I get the same thing, especially when I was using Hornady Brass. It never shot bad, but it definitely likes to spring back. I'm not great a consistent lubing, and annealing would probably help too. I got 200 of another brand for my new rifle, once fired. It's premium stuff and I still had a lot of oddballs. Some of it I know was technique but some was still really spooky. The worst part was I sorted everything out into batches of .001 increments, got fed up with what I was seeing, and left it alone for "a day". two months later I finally went back and I couldn't remember which ones were which. All of a sudden the 5 piles of about 7 thou variance became one giant pile that was within a .0015 spread and about 30 percent were stragglers that were pretty close. I have pretty good feel for the calipers, so I swear some had shrunk and many had grown up to .001. At that point I decided i didn't have the experience to ge tto the bottom of it and put them all in the same bag.

But like the man said pick the best quarter of the lot and test on those, then CHOOT IT!!!

Recent Posts