Full length sizing trouble

For me , on my presses, I always put a cheater on the handles ,
( a piece of aluminum thin wall pipe ,slipped over the handle to make it a foot longer than the original one )
Then apply even slow pressure.
For case lube , for me rolling the brass on a foam pad works better than spraying them .
Don't forget to lock down the ring on the die, if not it gets loose real quick , then the inconsistency.
Thanks
I have have rolled brass on pad for years. I had wrist surgery a few months back and never thought of using pipe for leverage, thanks for the tip.

Let's go to the basics. Was your sizing die turned-down to touch firmly the shellholder at maximum elevation, and then turned-back a "smidge" ? Absolute best lubricant is Dillon's pump spray, sprayed lightly, which I believe is lanolin in isopropyl alcohol. Let it evaporate for a day. Don't overlok primer pocket uniforming.

Think about getting into annealing... I know your new, but the money spent will eliminate alot of the variables in sizing. I honestly saw my shoulder bump drop into .0005 difference range, and my cbto go to .001 (with calipers) after doing proper anneal. I use the one on YouTube "DIY induction annealer". About $250.00-300.00 total, but my sanity was worth it. Sizing is even smoother, and seating pressure is incredibly " even"....Remember one thing, even good calipers are normally only accurate to within .001. And after awhile, we start thinking a .001 is a mile long!!! Good luck, and remember, consistency is your best friend....rsbhunter

Hey guys,
This is my first attempt at full length sizing so don't burn me down too bad here…

Equipment used:
RCBS Rock chucker
Hornady One shot spray lube
Redding FL die (expander removed)
6.5 prc ADG brass

Here's a list of my issues:
First off it seems like the amount of pressure needed to press the brass is varying a lot, some pieces seem to go in without effort, and other take a great deal of force.
Secondly: my sizing is very inconsistent, probably a variance of .005

Thanks for any advice, again, I'm brand new at this so give me a break.
Cheers
In my experience Hornady One Shot doesn't give me enough SLICK on my brass. (I use it on smaller size brass successfully)
I use Hornady Unique Case Lube mostly.And every now and then Forsters High Pressure Case Lube.
As far as your .005 variance are you using the same calipers and caparitor each time?

Hey guys,
This is my first attempt at full length sizing so don't burn me down too bad here…

Equipment used:
RCBS Rock chucker
Hornady One shot spray lube
Redding FL die (expander removed)
6.5 prc ADG brass

Here's a list of my issues:
First off it seems like the amount of pressure needed to press the brass is varying a lot, some pieces seem to go in without effort, and other take a great deal of force.
Secondly: my sizing is very inconsistent, probably a variance of .005

Thanks for any advice, again, I'm brand new at this so give me a break.
Cheers
I had a hard time with oil for lube. Changed over to wax havent dinged a shoulder or stuck the fist piece of brass.

Have always used an RCBS pad spread lube on the pad and roll them out. Messy yep but it works

In my experience Hornady One Shot doesn't give me enough SLICK on my brass. (I use it on smaller size brass successfully)
I use Hornady Unique Case Lube mostly.And every now and then Forsters High Pressure Case Lube.
As far as your .005 variance are you using the same calipers and caparitor each time?
Yep, sure am.

I have have rolled brass on pad for years. I had wrist surgery a few months back and never thought of using pipe for leverage, thanks for the tip.
Just spray the cases in a loading tray that is all that is necessary.I have arthritic fingers and that **** pad really hurts, that's why I switched to one shot when used properly it works great

Yes you're loading tray will get a little nasty I have one tray dedicated just for lubing cases

Recent Posts