Full length resizing of Magnums

200class

Two questions : What is the best lube to use?

Did the older model 77 Rugers ( with tang safety ) have a one in twelve twist?

I want to load with 165 gr. and my rifle seems to be one in twelve so I may be limited to 140. any comments would be helpful

200class

I like Imperial Wax.

If I were a betting man I'd guess that becuse of "Magnum" and "165gr" in one post you are referring to a 300 Win Mag, but if you ask you need to tell us what caliber that rifle is chambered for and that reference to "140gr" is certainly throwing me off and has me wondering 7mm Rem Mag....

My fault , it is a 7mm Rem Magnum and they are ususlly nowadays one in nine or nine and 1/2 as far as I have read. Were the earlier Rugers different?

Measure it. It is so simple to measure the twist and it gives you the right answer for your rifle, which is the only one that matters.

Put a patch on a jag, start it into the rifling just past the throat. Put a masking tape tag on the cleaning rod pointing up. Measure the distance from the tag to something - I use the end of my bore guide that sticks back out of the action. Push the rod in till the tape has made one turn and is pointing back up. Make a measurement from the tag to the same place. Subtract the two measurements. There is your answer.

Fitch

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.