Full Length resize

Redding type S neck sizer .
0.282 bushing set to size neck .020 "over caliber" down the neck
Different lot of brass than before , once fired (Nosler )

Fired brass 0.287"
Loaded 0.283"
Neck sized with 0.282 bushing and expander ball installed
Neck sized with 0.282 bushing and NO expander ball

Do I have a bum bushing? Do I buy a 0.284 in hopes it sizes to 0.282 actual ?

Regarding the annealing comments, the precision rifle blog just did a post on reloading practices used by the PRS Pros that may be of interest. I was surprised to see that about 2/3 of these shooters anneal and about 1/2 turn necks.

Reloading Like A Pro - Tips From Top Precision Rifle Shooters - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Reading the article was enough to get me interested in annealing to see if I can notice an improvement in my SD/ES. The last time I tried neck turning, I noticeably made the necks less uniform using a K&M turning kit so I'm not planning to dive back into attempting neck turning again at this point- I'd rather spend my money on top brass.

I have actually been just neck sizing for a custom tight chambered bolt gun but am following the thread with interest as I have a GAP-10 on order that I know I will need to full length size for.

Regarding your bushing sizing delema...... Over at the 6br website this exact problem was discussed on a thread started by yours truly . I had a 338 EDGE that started splitting the necks. I took all kinds of measurments of the reamer, the fired brass, the sized brass, the loaded ammo, etc..... I found the same as you did,,,,the sized brass came out about .002 LESS than what the bushing was. According to some that was kind of a standard deal, and it depended on how much you were reducing the brass. If you were only taking it down .001 or 2 the brass came out as it was supposed to. If you were reducing necks .005 or more, the brass would come out SMALLER than the bushing because of the angle of the brass as it entered the bushing.

This was on a no turn neck with at least a .005 squeeze. I checked some of my (very) tight necked cases on my 1K comp guns where I was only squeezing them .001 and the sized cases were as they should be.

You can simply use a bigger bushing if you think it will help with ES or on target.

Thanks for the insight .
I had read similar but being on that .005 mark and having never experienced it personally before I wondered . Going to get a few more bushings and see how it goes . At this very least I'll size it in steps which I'd prefer to avoid but whatever . Also getting the standard dies honed and was figuring id just go ahead with 0.282 hone size on this particular one .

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.