Full Length or Neck Only; What's Best Resizing for Accuracy?

All of this is a moot point if the chamber is not aligned to the bore which is very very common in factory rifles as well as many custom rifles. This has been a good discussion with many different views. I'll leave it with this point. Test everything in your own rifle, and always listen to the individual rifle, it will tell you what to do. And do not assume the next one will respond the same way. Even the top guys in the competition will go through hard times if they get too stubborn and start to try to force a barrel to shoot the combo they want it to.

If you've ever watched the mouth on a primed perfectly straight rimless bottleneck cartridge case position itself in the chamber as the firing pin pushes the case shoulder into the chamber shoulder, you'll see it's perfectly aligned and centered in the chamber neck and mouth.

Therefore, a bullet in that case neck will also be perfectly aligned and centered in the freebore and throat.

Easily seen if you first cut the barrel off at the chamber mouth and remove the firing pin spring.

Anyone ever measure how much case shoulders are set back from firing pin impact?

Last edited:
Conventional wisdom be danged.... Full steam ahead. It seems that all those hard and fast rules that have been touted for years and years in the handloading and shooting world might well have been old wives tales.

Modern technology in the making of rifles might very well have made a lot of the old ways obsolete not to mention bullets are light years ahead of where they were just a few short years ago.

I know that a few of us guys that have spent a lifetime in pursuing accuracy are in denial (myself included) but it's hard to ignore the new stuff and the accuracy that is cropping up with much less of the intricate and minuscule stuff that fascinated us in the past.

In my case laziness and lack of time to get down and dirty with neck turning etc. has led me down a different path and it's been rewarding.

Let us not forget this forum is not about 1000 yard benchrest shooting but rather long range hunting. Not to say that the 1000 yard benchrest guys (and gals) don't have things to teach us but also a lot of their stuff doesn't apply much to us.

Nuff said...

A question if you don't mind, sorry to hijack or change a bit.

My experience is a couple of years reloading
Was wondering if a die were to size a case too small in the body area, if it would cause accuracy issues?
I have a recently built 280 AI and dies that size the body down .006 to .007 at the top and bottom of the case. This I noticed after the first fire forming. The die was very tight.

This made me check all my other builds, and found that all the others sized the body about .002 to .003
I thought if anything, that the .006 sized brass would probably ware out a lot quicker, but didn't know about accuracy

Conventional wisdom be danged.... Full steam ahead. It seems that all those hard and fast rules that have been touted for years and years in the handloading and shooting world might well have been old wives tales.

Modern technology in the making of rifles might very well have made a lot of the old ways obsolete not to mention bullets are light years ahead of where they were just a few short years ago.

I know that a few of us guys that have spent a lifetime in pursuing accuracy are in denial (myself included) but it's hard to ignore the new stuff and the accuracy that is cropping up with much less of the intricate and minuscule stuff that fascinated us in the past.

In my case laziness and lack of time to get down and dirty with neck turning etc. has led me down a different path and it's been rewarding.

Let us not forget this forum is not about 1000 yard benchrest shooting but rather long range hunting. Not to say that the 1000 yard benchrest guys (and gals) don't have things to teach us but also a lot of their stuff doesn't apply much to us.

Nuff said...
I think it is harder to get a single shot on an animal in various prone positions at 1000 than shooting groups with sighters. Plus an animal deserves a lot more respect than a steel target

The 1000 yard prone record for 20 shots is 19 shots inside 10 inches, 200-19X score. Shot in 1996 with a scoped 300 Win Mag.

What best defines accuracy?

Smallest few shot group? Largest few shot group?

Largest many shot group? Largest few shot group?

Something else?

I'm surprised it has held up this long with all the advancements
I don't think there's been many advancements. Long range prone match rifles have tested about half MOA at a thousand since the 1980's.

The 1000 yard benchrest many group aggregate records have all individual groups inside 6 to 7 inches.

Theres been a lot more post currently.Than last 10 years of good shooting out to a mile.It might only be 3 shots,but more and more people are shooting farther more accurately now,in the GQ public.The advancements for the average shooter are obvious

I'm surprised it has held up this long with all the advancements
Look into Benchrest and F class, records are falling every year. There are constant advancements. They're just not huge. We are to that point that nothing is going to just come out and cut group sizes in half. If you wanna get into some records, The F class 1k record is 200 22X. The scoring rings on that target are half the size they are on the target Bart is referring to. So that's 22 shots in 5" That just happened a couple years ago and a couple years before that it was 17X. 2 1000 yd br agg records fell last year as well actually one of them was broken twice. Now 10 match aggregate is under 4" in light gun and under 3" for the 6 match aggregate. You just have to be looking in the right place to see all of the advancements. Sling shooting will always be tough because you are supporting the rifle. You can only hold one so good. The human is the weak link in that game.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.