Full length bed update

Blancoalex

Update on my full length barrel bed experiment. In this case it has meet my goal "so far".

I traded off a rifle I didn't shoot much anymore with Kae006 from forum here for 223 barreled action.. Most would think was crazy trade but all I wanted and needed was the barreled action. I was happy with trade , Keith good guy to deal with.

I used spare parts I had laying around even the scope is just a plain Leupold 6x. I pulled action apart and trued up and corrected extra headspace it had from factory. Next bedded action and full length of barrel.

The 2 - 2 shots groups are shot cold bore condition which was part of my goal to have this rifle put shot where needed and only maybe be only fired 1-2 times during a whole day. I fired one shot allowed rifle to fully get back to normal and then fire second shot. It will be used as walk around and/or ride on four wheeler rifle. .

Stock and parts look little rough but it supposed to be rough and tough rifle so not sure if i get around to refinishing everthing to make look Pretty.

Will try over next few months to see if keeps a consistant cold bore zero. Time will tell if this works out.

Thanks for every one replies to original post. Be Corona Safe !!
20200321_102001.jpg

Attachments

• 20200321_100338.jpg
    20200321_100338.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 243
Morning, This an experiment and I had never done before. I had always done the just action, or action and inch of barrel. Just seeing why NULA and Barrett Fieldcraft are doing this! Another part of my experiment will be to take apart, put back together and then re- torque at 55 lbs to see how it maintains it's zero. Also seeing if it maintains zero over time. If doesn't work ez to fix.

Interesting. Which bedding compound did you choose? Take a picture of the bedding when you pull it if you get a chance. (just to satisfy my curiosity.)

Have fun!

Used Devcon 10110 and sitting on 1/2" aluminium pillars , will try to remember not sure when that will be as want to shoot as is for while first.

Update on my full length barrel bed experiment. In this case it has meet my goal "so far".

I traded off a rifle I didn't shoot much anymore with Kae006 from forum here for 223 barreled action.. Most would think was crazy trade but all I wanted and needed was the barreled action. I was happy with trade , Keith good guy to deal with.

I used spare parts I had laying around even the scope is just a plain Leupold 6x. I pulled action apart and trued up and corrected extra headspace it had from factory. Next bedded action and full length of barrel.

The 2 - 2 shots groups are shot cold bore condition which was part of my goal to have this rifle put shot where needed and only maybe be only fired 1-2 times during a whole day. I fired one shot allowed rifle to fully get back to normal and then fire second shot. It will be used as walk around and/or ride on four wheeler rifle. .

Stock and parts look little rough but it supposed to be rough and tough rifle so not sure if i get around to refinishing everthing to make look Pretty.

Will try over next few months to see if keeps a consistant cold bore zero. Time will tell if this works out.

Thanks for every one replies to original post. Be Corona Safe !!
View attachment 182896
Cool.

Personally imo I dont see how bedding the full length of the barrel channel would achieve any advantage??

The whole idea of bedding the action & the recoil lug area is to relieve the stress & shift on the action & free float the barrel.

What is bedding the rest of the barrel channel going to accomplish apart from costing you money on compound??

Just asking the question or am I missing something here?

Also a link to your bedding thread would help ;)

Yesterday did some chronograph ing with this rifle. Not happy with velocity. 53hp only at 2800 in this 16 1\2" barrel. After letting rifle cool back to normal shot one shot at golf ball size rock at 100yds and it was deadon. This was encouraging to see it be still zero after slightly warming barrel.

Update, "so far" this full length barrel experiment is working better than i anticipted. I know it may not work running many rounds one after another. My goal was one shot repeatable cold bore accuracy. Yesterday i pulled rifle apart to put in lighter trigger sear spring to improve trigger. I put rifle back together and re torqued at 55. It put the one cold bore shot right in middle of 2 shot group from week ago. Don't know if this proves anything other than for "this" rifle it works or it's just a awesome rifle.

I like the idea of being able take it apart and retorquing and having it mainatin original zero.

Attachments

• 20200327_173102.jpg
    20200327_173102.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 237
Awesome test run,,, a person has nothing to loose giving things a try...

Double tag as I'll follow along,,, who knows,,, maybe my ligth weigth build will follow the same idea...

Solid rifle stock with a fore end that stiff and ridged...

Don

I was trying do as NULA and Barrett Fieldcraft are doing. I can tell you with this sraight grian walnut ADL stock and heavy barrel the rifle has a very soild feel to it.

I'd be curious to see how a big 30 type caliber would work with a std contour hunting barrel.

Good Idea, I may just for grins try this on my 300 Wby. I don't shoot it much anymore so would be could candidate to try. It does have a light Palma contour barrel.

If doesn't work will be easy enough to open barrel channel back up.

I think around 1984, I had a smith order a Rem 700 BDL varmint in 22-250 and had him bed the whole barrel. It shot fantastic.
I never laid hands on the rifle in it's original configuration, so I have no comparison. It was the only time I ever dabbled in doing a full bedding job.
Whether it was worth it or not, never know. He also stripped the high gloss finish and did a beautiful satin finish on the stock, it was the only wood stock I ever made an effort to keep nice looking.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.