Full Body Decoys?

ElwoodUT

I am trying to figure out what decoys to go with. I really don't want to spend too much like for DSDs or Avian X and size doesn't matter since I am using my Beard Buster Blind Hog pack. I really like full body decoys, probably because I like the look of them even more than the turkeys.

Anyone have any brands that they have had good experiences with that aren't too hard on the wallet?

You might laugh, but we used to use black trash bags on a stick for decoys back when we first started lol.

Seriously, go with what you are confident and can afford. A trash bag will work, so anything better than that is a bonus!

Everyone talks about how expensive they are....but I've had way more than $120 worth of fun with my DSD. Just an opinion though....
Chuck

I've had good luck with a strut-lite hen decoy I picked up for I think about 50 bucks at the local farm and fleet. I also know a guy who guides for turkeys who swears by making his own from Nerf balls by gluing on feathers plucked from birds he's shot. Turkeys are fairly curious, if you're calling and you've got something out there you'll have birds come in.

I use an Avian X upright. Around here another tom or even a jake decoy has cost me a few birds.

I've had good luck with Avian X but its all timing. There are times when a Jake or gobbler decoy will run everything off. But during late season when the stuck gobblers have not heard a hen in a week they can make a difference. My most memorable hunt was on one such bird. I had my Jake decoy and breeder hen set up and called for about 5 minutes with a shaker and glass. The bird was hung up but when he saw that jake decoy with the hen he came in the last 30 in 2 seconds doing the goosestep. Never seen anything like it. 23.5 pounds 11" beard 1-3/8 spurs eastern gobbler.

Early season look out or feeder or both it becomes a bit of a game. A black trash bag and a jake fan can sure turn a gobblers head mid to late season.

Keep in mind the season I speak of may not coincide with the dates the DNR or DGIF prescribe.

Good luck and shoot straight all

An economical decoy I've had good luck with is miss purr-fect. It's possible to change from feeding to upright to breeding hen. They are nice because they are they coil up the size of your hand and hardly take up any room in a pack.

If you are patient you can usually find a decent sale on turkey decoys. I picked up a couple almost new Avian X decoys on a classified section of a turkey website. Craigslist may also have them for cheap.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.