Ftr ?

What would that be for a .308? I understand that the rifle can't be more than 18 lbs, is that correct?

If you are talking about a weight class It could vary.

If you are talking barrel length for optimum velocity of the 308 Win, the Optimum would be around 24".And for the most velocity somewhere around 28".

J E CUSTOM

If you are talking about FT R rules, unless something changed this year there is no barrel length restriction. You see many guys migrating over to 30"-32" barrels. Guess the Palma weenies had it right 30 years ago.

Weight restriction is based on the British L96 Accuracy International sniper rifle that was in service when the rules were being proposed. It was the heaviest in-service sniper system. The Jar Heads are giving them a run for the money in the "Too heavy to field" race, but that is where that crazy *** weight came from.

For F/TR, both U.S. and international, the weight limit is 8.25 kilograms. That translates to approx. 18.18 lbs.

Remember that weight is all inclusive - everything that comes with the gun as you would lift it straight up off the mat, including the bipod (and/or sling, if you prefer).

There are no limits on barrel length, other than practical. Too short and you'll be skirting the trans-sonic region @ 1000yds and long range accuracy may suffer compared to other options. Yeah, I know every tacticool rifle with a 24" barrel shoots 1/2 moa 'all day long' @ 1000yds... thats why we see so many of them in matches - not. Too long... and the barrel becomes somewhat 'whippy' for lack of a better term, and difficult to tune a load. And surprisingly hard to find a gun case to fit it in. Personally I don't really like the way longer barrels balance and behave in use, based on rounds fired from other people's guns.

gun)

Monte

For F/TR, both U.S. and international, the weight limit is 8.25 kilograms. That translates to approx. 18.18 lbs.

Remember that weight is all inclusive - everything that comes with the gun as you would lift it straight up off the mat, including the bipod (and/or sling, if you prefer).

There are no limits on barrel length, other than practical. Too short and you'll be skirting the trans-sonic region @ 1000yds and long range accuracy may suffer compared to other options. Yeah, I know every tacticool rifle with a 24" barrel shoots 1/2 moa 'all day long' @ 1000yds... thats why we see so many of them in matches - not. Too long... and the barrel becomes somewhat 'whippy' for lack of a better term, and difficult to tune a load. And surprisingly hard to find a gun case to fit it in. Personally I don't really like the way longer barrels balance and behave in use, based on rounds fired from other people's guns.

gun

Monte

+1 gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.