• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED FS: Barr & Stroud Optical Rangefinder

JSGraul

FS: Barr & Stroud Optical Rangefinder w/ Pictures

Hello All,
Backstory: I have had this rangefinder for close to a year, and I just haven't had the rifle to make full use of it. Times have changed, and I have gone back to school. So, I need to free up a bit of money for tuition.

Overview: This rangefinder is a Barr and Stroud MK 21 MOD 2 rangefinder built for the US Navy in 1958. Its scale is graduated from 250 to 10,000 yards or meters, whichever unit you choose. The rangefinder is in perfect operating condition, and it looks mint as well. The rangefinder comes in a waterproof bag inside of a greenish/gray steel US Navy case, along with a web harness, belt and monopod. The rangefinder, case and monopod all have US Navy BuOrd serial plates, and all are in near perfect condition. Also included is the original manual, which covers everything from collimation to operation. The manual is still crisp and in perfect shape. Also included is a set of rubber goggles, which fit over the eyepiece, but due to time, they have become brittle and are no longer useable. This in no way affects the operation of the rangefinder. The rangefinder weights approx. 14 lbs., and the whole case with rangefinder and accessories weights about 30lbs.

Use: The rangefinder is very easy to collimate. Set up on a object over 250 yards away, and turn an adjustment dial until the upper and lower images are coincident. To rangefind, set up on the object to be ranged, split the object with the two images, and turn a different knob until the image is coincident and in focus. Then, read the distance on the rangefinder. The rangefinder scale also can be internally illuminated with DD batteries for use in less than perfect light conditions. The rangefinder can be used from 250 yards or meters to over 10,000 yards or meters. Uncertainty is approx. 4 meters at 1000m, and 100m at 10,000m, so it is very accurate to say the least. The manual covers all of this.

Condition: As mentioned previously, the rangefinder itself is in perfect shape. The accessories and stowage case are in 95+% condition as well. In fact, I don't think this was ever issued while in the Navy, and considering when it was made (1958), I don't think the Navy used them much after this time. It is probably as good as it gets for rangefinding using optical coincidence. This setup could easily belong in a museum display.

Tripod: I have also purchased a Czech army steel and aluminum tripod to use for the rangefinder. The tripod is also in near mint condition, and it is very heavy and overbuilt. The tripod weighs about 30lbs, and it could easily support a 100lb. object. The only problem is, the male threads of the tripod do not mesh with the female of the rangefinder. I intended to have an adapter made to mate the two, but I never got around to it.

Both of these items were purchased from Deutche Optik, and I am selling them for what I paid. The rangefinder in a unbelievable condition, and given the increasing number of long range shooters and reenactors, I don't see their value decreasing appreciably over the long term.

Rangefinder and Tripod: $740 shipped

Thanks,

Jake

jsgraul

Last edited:
Wow!! That's a pretty exceptional unit you have, I don't think it'll last long!