frying oil

dreamhunt

I bought some cottonseed oil about two years ago, and used it about three times. They were in those gallon or so containers, and I drained it as best I could but they are discolored somewhat from frying. Do you think it is still ok to use? I wanted to fry some chicken but don't want to get the family sick!

Unless it has been frozen for that period I would not take the chance.

Most fry oils need to be filtered before freezing to remove any foreign substances that could cause it to go bad. freezing seems to be the best way to preserve it for any length of time.

You mite try a small sample for the taste and if it is rancid so you haven't wasted all of your meat.

J E CUSTOM

I usually fry fish and things in peanut oil about 3 times unless the oil looks discolored. then i replace it. Peanut oil is supposedly only good for 1 yr, not sure about cottonseed, might want to look into that. If in doubt throw it out!
p.s. I also strain my oil very well!

SemperFi

I'm old school I fry in Lard or Bacon fat it's worked for years? A big deep cast iron skillet
get your grease good and hot. Clean and bread your chicken in your secret blend.
Southern Fried we are famous for it down here. Fried Tomatoes ..we fry anything!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.